Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Danny
Hi all, I am currently trying to arrange my night rating but am aware of the impending light evenings (hooray!). The schools I have so far enquired with have told me that they are running night ratings until the clocks go forward, which is fine apart from the fact that these schools don't operate night training every night, which means it potentially will impact how quickly I can complete it.
Does anyone have any recommendations for schools in the uk (I'm based in the south east near west London but open to travelling) where training later in the evening may be possible as the evenings get lighter?

Many thanks in advance,

Danny
By ArrowStraight
It is possible to complete a night rating pretty much year round, but it will likely cost you significantly more outside of the normal night flying period of the year. (Think expensive circuits at Southend and two rooms in an hotel, plus extra compensation for your instructor)
Send me a PM if you're interested.........
Danny liked this
By PaulB
Where are you located? Night rating is only 5 hrs isn’t it. You could prob do it in 2-3 sessions if you had to.
Danny liked this
By joe-fbs
Southend and Oxford both late night and light aviation friendly. I don't know about schools at them. When we did a night trip from Southend around the M25 one Thursday night in November, plenty of the small airfields were,IIRC, lit: Biggin Hill, Blackbushe, Fairoaks and Wycombe. I think Stapleford also does night flying. Going the other way, Leicester does.
Danny liked this
By Danny
Thanks all for the replies, just waiting for a call back from a school at Oxford that may be able to take me on to do it at a rate of knots. May well give you a PM ArrowStraight if it doesn't go to plan... Thanks Paul B I do definite intend to blast on as soon as possible as it's something I want to get in the bag asap. The Carlisle option is also good to know as I'm from up that way and that could work if time gets the better of me.

Cheers,

Danny
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I did my night qualification ten years ago at Cambridge with Mid Anglia School of Flying in three nights, a week before the clocks went forward.
But things may have changed as a result of Cambridge's rubbish radar provision.

Peter
Danny liked this