Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By JohnC
Hi all,

I’m a (very!) early stage PPL student and my family clubbed together and got me the Bose A20 - which I was clearly very happy and grateful to receive!

The set I got was the standard non-Bluetooth set, and whilst I’m still in the 30 day no-quibble return period I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to the Bluetooth version? Do people tend to regret not plumping out for the BT version?

Thanks!
John
By Nick T
I've got Bluetooth on my Lightspeed PFX - always forget to turn it on.

The only real thing I use it for (when remembering to turn it on!) is for SkyDemon warning sounds etc. Never for making calls or listening to music.
By JonH690
I've got the A20 Bluetooth and use it very rarely. It is handy to have sometimes though (SkyDemon alerts or emergency phonecalls).

I don't regret spending that little bit more.
By Rob P
I have Zulu bluetooth. Used it once to listen to the film score from The Battle of Britain whilst bimbling over East Anglia; never used it since.

Rob P
By Lerk
I use bluetooth for skydemon alerts...

...when I remember to turn it on!
As others have said - nice to have, but not at all necessary.
By BasherOfCircuits
I agonised over the staggering price, Bluetooth or not, and eventually decided that in for a penny, in for a (thousand) pound(s). Purchase prompted by my not-brilliant hearing and an embarrassing busy Saturday when I responded to Farnborough North's "pass yer message" meant for an entirely different aircraft.

Was it worth it? Yes but only in the sense - and sorry this may only make sense to tradespeople or DIYers - that Festool power tools are worth it over Makita or Bosch blue.
By JohnC
Thanks everyone! :thumleft:

I’ll think on it a few more days, but I’ll probably swap them for the Bluetooth version as otherwise it’ll bug the hell out of me that one time I try to use my phone!
By Peter Mundy
You could of course connect your phone or tablet via the aux input port on the A20