Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi!
I did about 20h of my PPL stopping just shy of the first solo a few years ago. Unfortunately due to job constraints I never had the time to finish it and gain my license.

I now have several months off in-between jobs (from March onwards) and would like to use this time to do my PPL in the US, blocked over 6-8 weeks or so.

Could people who have done this in the past recommend a school for me please? Any do's and don'ts?

Thanks
J
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
1. The training and experience from before will definitely help;
2. Whether the 20 hours will count towards the total time legally required I am not sure, in reality you will need more than just another 20 to get a US PPL;
3. Unlessyou're in the US already and a US resident you will need the appropriate visa and do the training with a school which can issue student visas; start the visa process early. It takes time (and money)
4. In preparation get a medical and get the studying for the ground school done; having to study at the same time as flying is a burden and you don't want a distraction to the flying if you are time constraint;
5. In choosing school make sure they understand your aim and desire and make sure they are able and committed to delivering that;
6. Don't pay for the lot up front; it is common to have them hold on to deposit and a further fund up front - the latter you keep up as hours are flown, but don't pay for everything in one block - sometimes things don't workout, schools go pop, students go sick, plans change and kissing good bye to hard earned cash is no fun, especially when it is a lot.
7. Choose somewhere nice - funding a PPL is expensive, going for the cheapest options may save money. But if the experience is marred by having to stay in a cockroach infested apartment the memories may not be so great.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:2. Whether the 20 hours will count towards the total time legally required I am not sure, in reality you will need more than just another 20 to get a US PPL;

This hours will count towars the FAA PPL requirements.
By PeteSpencer
Bathman wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:2. Whether the 20 hours will count towards the total time legally required I am not sure, in reality you will need more than just another 20 to get a US PPL;

This hours will count towars the FAA PPL requirements.

ISTR the hours will now only count if the training was done by a FAA certified (or whatever the official term is) instructor.

Keef and I got away with a large number of UK instructor IMCr hours towards our FAA/IR training in Fl in 2002 but that loophole was closed in mid naughties.

Peter
By cockney steve
The elephant in the room! What sort of licence are you looking for (this will be dependent on your future flying ambitions (destinations). We may well be out of EASA come end of March and your carefully chosen flavour of licence could then have a very bitter flavour.

Sorry to post negatively, but I've seen so much uncertainty that has now compounded.