Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

So, having a look towards training and learning the skill of helicopter flying, what are the standard, preferred and widely used and accepted air pilot manuals (APM's)/study (training and theory) books to be used by those embarking on this?
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You are probably best to ask the school which ones they use.

These were mine, but bear in mind my PPL(H) was in 2005/6.

I really enjoyed LEARNING TO FLY HELICOPTERS by R Randell Padfield but didn't find it very useful for the Helicopter specific written exams I had to do (I already had a PPL(A) that excused me most of them).

The recommended book for my PPL(H) was was written by W Wagtendonk, called Principles of Helicopter flight and seemed (to me) impenetrable. I gave up on it. It would probably appeal to someone with a more mathematical/engineering approach than me.

After I had my licence I was given a pre publication copy of Private Helicopter Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher, which I thought was very good and wished it had been available when I was a student.

And you should read Chickenhawk. :wink:
You cannot go wrong with Geoff Days Aerodynamics made simple. Once you have in your mind how this works you can then go on to the quite technical Wagdendonk book (which is used for the exam!).

Also the Norman Bailey books are quite good to start with.

Visit your local Flight Training school for rotary, they will good advice and probably the books to sell you :)