Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

The question is in the title, how long does it take to get to solo in a helicopter? I'm sure this will be dependent on many things, so whilst we're on the topic, I shall also enquire as to what are good flying schools to go to to do heli training (I live in Hertfordshire), what heli's are preferable, the associated costs and how much difference having a PPL (A) makes to gaining proficiency at flying a helicopter? These are all subsidiary to the main question I stated at the top, but are of course related and very important to formulating a good answer/guess to the question: 'how long does it take to go solo in a helicopter', and what would you actually be doing in that first solo flight?

On a side note, but also I shall enquire as I look into heli's here, what actually does the course syllabus consist of? Like with PPL (A), the exercises go from 1-19, starting with straight and level, climb, descend, taxi, etc, through stalling and into circuits, then nav, etc, so what's the layout for the PPL (H)?
Air exercises:

1a. Familiarisation with helicopters.

1b. Emergency procedures.

2. Preparation for flight, starting and stopping the engine and rotors.

3. Air experience – an introduction to helicopter flight.

4. Effects of controls – what the controls do in forward flight.

5. Attitude and power changes – power, attitude and thus speed changes.

6. Straight and level.

7. Climbing.

8. Descending.

9. Turning.

10. Basic Auto Rotation.

11a. Hovering.

11b. Hover taxiing and spot turns.

11c. Hovering and taxiing emergencies.

12. Take-off and Landing.

13. Transition – from the hover to forward flight and retuning to the hover from forward flight.

14a. Circuit, approach and landing.

14b. Steep and limited power approaches and landings.

14c. Emergency procedures.

15. First Solo.

16. Sideways and backwards manoeuvres in the hover.

17. Spot Turns.

18. Hover OGE and vortex ring.

19. Simulated EOL.

20. Advanced auto rotation.

21. Practice forced landings.

22. Steep turns.

23. Transitions.

24. Quick Stops.

25a. Navigation.

25b. Navigation problems at low heights and in reduced visibility.

25c. Radio navigation.

26. Advanced take off, landings and transitions.

27. Sloping ground.

28. Limited power.

29. Confined areas.

30. Basic instrument flight.

31. Night flying (if night rating required).
Generally it appears that time to first solo is very similar to that for fixed wing. Around 10 to 12 hours.

I can’t imagine having a PPL(A) would be much advantage until the basic mastery of the helicopter was sorted.

Going on beyond first solo, a PPL(A) holder can trim 6 hours from the 45 total course requirement. I’m not sure what theory needs to be repeated.

A reasonable oversight is given in this blog http://www.cosylife.co.uk/flying/helico ... ills-test/
Going solo is a very wide variable in fixed wing, and I think much wider in Helicopter. One reason for this is the type of helicopter you train in.

I starter rotary when I had around 500 hours fixed wing, including a wide variety of types including a skittish tail dragged. I wasn’t serious about getting a Heli license, I just wanted to have fun for a few hours so I went for an Enstrom turbine. I was solo in 5 hours, completing a total of 10 hours on that helicopter.

Later I then decided to take it more seriously and for cost reasons went piston, and it took another 5 hours to get solo again because the piston engine was so much more challenging, particularly the manual throttle.

so: lots of variables!! Going solo isn’t such a big deal anyway, it’s just a small step. Passing GST is a much bigger achievement, and cross counties are the really fun bit of the course.
... forgot to add. I believe the PPL(A) helped enormously. Airmanship, radio, generally being less overwhelmed, airfield practices, etc. Also helps with flying, but not really so much with hovering. If you fly tailwheel or other types that need lots of footwork that’s much better than aircraft that don’t need much(any) rudder.
I think age and general co-ordination have a lot to do with it.

Being neither young nor with great co-ordination (you should see me trying to dance), it took me 18 hours to first solo in an aeroplane Cessna 152 (I was in my mid 30s at the time) and 20 in a helicopter (Robinson 22) when I was almost 50.

Both times I noticed that the younger students were much faster than the older ones in reaching first solo.

I was excused most of the Helicopter written exams on the basis of my PPL(A) but this was in the days of JAR licencing so I don't know what the current position is.
what would you actually be doing in that first solo flight?

What I was told to do was lift into a hover, hold a hover for 10 seconds, then land. If that was Ok, I was then to go ahead and fly a single helicopter circuit and then land.

So that is what I did. The instructor was hiding behind a bush when I came back to land after the circuit. I am still unclear as to whether this was for his own safety or whether he didn't want to distract me.
Its a minimum of 20 hours if you are being taught in a Robinson helicopter. I believe the same applies for the Cabri G2 but I could be wrong.

I have had students fly their first solo circuit at 20 hours and I have had students at 40 hours do the same. This includes fixed wing pilots as well.

Unlike the fixed wing world, taxiing is difficult in rotary for a student, you may well spend 5 hours getting the hover skills to a safe level.

Once you crack the hovering it opens up the entire PPL to move forward and it becomes even a more enjoyable learning experience.

Landing with your passengers at a hotel, golf course, restaurant in the lakes, cotswolds, peak district, pennines or even the north yorkshire moors area is special thing.