Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Misha_the_Penguin
I’m wondering if there is anyone who,could give me a bit of advice. I was about to do my QXC and then flight test last yearwhen the school closed down. I subsequently moved to another school locally and carried out a couple of familiarisation flights and was ready to do the QXC when the PA28 I was learning on was damaged. I’ve been learning on the PA28 - Not wishing to move schools again I was wondering whether it was inadvisable at this late stage to change to a Cessna 150 for the cross country and flight test. My gut feeling is that I don’t mind a couple of hours familiarisation just to avoid a huge round trip to the next nearest school with PA28s!
By GolfHotel
I did my first solo in a T67, second solo in a PA28, third (not quite literally) Solo in an AA5, and often flew a DR400 solo while training. Fill your boots, it may take a bit of time but you should be fine.

BTW I flew only 1hr in a C150 while learning. That was a tryout of a prospective school. Didn't like the instructor so didn't do any more with them.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You’ll get some direct benefit from flying a variety of aeroplanes, so read the POH take an hour to get familiar and enjoy your QXC.
By Balliol
At your level of experience you will need a good hour or so of conversion, but after that you should be fine to finish on the 150. If you like the school, have good instructors and are progressing well, those are the most important at factors. Good luck!
By Cessna57
I went the other way, from C150 to PA28 as a new license holder.

They land differently, the flap settings are different (1 stage in a C150 / 152 for short fields), few things like fuel tanks and some controls are different, but really, they’re both like flying a light aircraft in my experience. Neither have wobbly props etc.

Stall behaviour is very different, but recovery is the same. The Cessnas I flew did wing drop easily, sometimes scarily so, the PA28 I fly doesn’t. So it was really hammered into me the role of the rudder, as one Cessna I flew was renowned for nearly spinning if you went anywhere near the ailerons.

There’s nuances, and it’s worth reading the POH, but thinking back, I’d not have minded changing during training.
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is it a C150 or a C152? There is a difference.

Having said that I learnt to fly at an organisation with 4 C152's. They all had a different panel/radio/nav and flew differently. :thumright:

Later in my flying I flew a C150 for a while - I preferred it to the C152
By Misha_the_Penguin
I fit in a C150 - I have flown one before! :D

I actually quite like them- it’s just the bulk if my hours have been on PA28s and I didn’t want to introduce added complications into my training at this late stage! :D