Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By callummullally
Hello,
I am a 16 year old boy who's always wanted to be a pilot since i was 5 years old, I've left school with only 3 gcses in English, Maths And Science all A and B grades (or new 7/8 New spec) I've noticed looking at flight schools they all seem to need 5 gcses or more, is there any way at all i can get around this? Money is not an issue i know how much flight schools cost.

Regards.
By cadoganpier
Hi
Did you just sit the three or struggle with the others?, if you sat more than three is re-sitting an option for you?.
By Gentoo
You can learn to fly and work towards whatever license you want. If you pay for it.

..but whether you will be recruited as a job later on depends on a few things.

I am confused as to how someone can get 3 good grades in English, Maths and Science but no others

Given your age it's probably not best to discuss too much detail on the internet and to ask your parents to take you to visit a local flight school and speak to the CFI.

Maybe you can look at vocational engineering type qualifications as well, for that speak to a local further education college.

Just be careful not to be 'sold' something you are unsure of.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Work hard, get some more GCSEs then enrol in sixth form and do some A levels.

You then have the basis for a reasonable job or progression to university if your Pilot dream comes to nowt.

Remember there’s more to piloting (and I assume you mean airline piloting rather than mere PPL).

There’s the medicai for starters.

You’re young, you’ve got bags of time: have a second/third string to your bow in case the rose tinted spectacles fall away.

Above all, though good luck

Peter :wink:
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Local colleges usually have plenty of opportunities for further study at GCSE, A-level or similar standards.

Flying schools DO NOT require five GCSEs, they mainly require your money and effort. But, employers may well want to see something more impressive than three GCSEs. So my advice would be go back to college, do a decent set of GCSEs, the A-levels or something equivalent - NOT skipping the vital maths and physics.

Aged 18/19 you'll then have developed the study skills you genuinely do require. You'll be working past 70, so another year or two now, makes no difference whatsoever to your career - but the extra study may well.

In the meantime, join the Air Cadets or Air Scouts.

G
By PeterMa
Great to see someone keen to get in to aviation. Good advice already given , but to offer some encouragement . I know a pilot who left school with no qualifications , realised he wanted to fly, re sat exams and became not only a 1st class pilot with the RAF also a medical doctor ! Not having GCSE is not a barrier - hard hard work to get them and focus on what you want to achieve in the future is key ! You are young and have time on your side !