Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By JAFO
Not that new, Andy.

In 1986 I did Blackpool to Carlisle and the instructor pointed out Walney Island as we passed. My QXC soon after was Blackpool - Walney Island - Carlisle - Blackpool. Not difficult nav, on the way out sea to the left, land to the right, reverse for return leg. I didn't think I even needed a chart, so simple was it.

The only problems on my QXC were entirely self-generated. Due to a change of schools I had never flown a PA28 solo prior to my QXC so the CFI suggested I did a quick circuit and, if I lived, I could continue on my way. I survived the circuit but almost not the climb out after it. The houses got very big before I realised that in my excitement, I had neglected to retract flaps and was trying to climb out with full flaps. This does not work well.

On approaching Walney Island the controller asked me to report at a VRP and so I turned to get my chart so that I might identify it and it had slid off the seat and was now in the rear footwell just out of reach whichever way I turned. The recovery of the chart necessitated a climb into the rear seat which gave a brief but very interesting view of a PA28 with no-one in either of the front seats, merrily flying itself across Morecambe Bay.

I was very young and even if I was still that stupid now, I couldn't climb into the back of a PA28.

I hope that NewFlyer78 enjoys his/her QXC and that it is memorable for all the right reasons, unlike my own.
Some great responses to my original post. I’ve done 1 landing at each of the QXC destinations with my instructor so hope that is enough. Suppose I just need to do it on my own now to build up confidence.

Thanks once again to fellow aviators who responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As mine had been delayed a couple of times and I had one false start where I got airbourne ( got as far as Reading only to see my instructor whizzing back to base due to a nasty big line of low cloud that wasn't supposed to be there) I was determined to get it done this side of Christmas. On the actual day the weather wasn't great but within limits, as I had a few flights with my instructor in poor weather where we had diverted and worked around it I was reasonably confident I would be ok if it was nastier than predicted. As it turned out as I approached Swindon ( my route was White Waltham, Kemble, Sywel, Waltham) which was one of my way points there was a dirty great dark rain cloud sitting over it, whilst I was thinking about my options I saw a Globe Master going into Brize fly around it so I figured I better do the same. I made a plan, skirted around Swindon to the East and found my next WP without too much fuss and landed without drama. I had seen some more angry looking weather coming from the West I didn't hang about at Kemble and took off for Sywel. The rest of the flight went without any drama and I felt quite chuffed that I had managed to change plans on the hoof and that it all worked out. For the first time in my training I felt like a real pilot.
As a a foot note I do think that not cancelling lessons that I may have been due to do solo work in and instead doing dual nav ex etc when the weather has been bad has been a big help. Having an instructor to show you what is, and more importantly isn't, do-able has helped remove a lot of the fear and uncertainty I felt about weather. It's made me less frightened but more respectful if that makes sense.
It probably depends how confident your instructor is in you and how confident you are yourself. I'm a believer in actively managing one's own learning and discussing these things with your instructor, not just waiting to be told what's happening next and wondering whether your experience/progress is comparable to others.

FWIW, my QXC was White Waltham - Kemble - Sywell - White Waltham.

We had previously been to Kemble as a dual landaway, but not Sywell (nor, to the best of my recollection, anywhere else).

I found navigation and RT came fairly naturally to me so I was keen to get on with my QXC as soon as possible, knowing how easily they can be scuppered by weather. My instructor, after some discussion, agreed with me and I believe the parting words as I walked out to the aeroplane were a friendly "don't f**k up"!
flybymike wrote:In my day, one of the airfields used for the QXC had to be one at which you had never landed before.

I’m glad you said that - I was starting to think I’d imagined it. Mine (2001) was Welshpool-Gloucester (big scary place with ATC!) - Tatenhill - Welshpool. Had never been to Tatenhill but as it was close to home for me, it was easy to find. Not so for the chap 20 mins ahead of me flying the same route on the same day - he missed it and ended up in east Mids airspace (but realised immediately and called them for assistance). Wish I could remember his name, wonder what he’s doing now...
By vw-dan
I flew to Sywell and Gloucester on my QXC. Gloucester I'd done Instructor, Instructor, Solo previously as I took 8 months off between the two Duals.

Sywell I did with an instructor as a practice QXC a few weeks prior to the real QXC, but we just overflew Gloucester.

In terms of time scale, I landed at Gloucester solo in the April, and did my QXC in the August.

This was all in 2017.

At the time I'd read accounts similar to the above of people going places they'd never been and that filled me with dread, but I can absolutely see the logic. It took me an embarrassing amount of months before I felt confident enough to visit a brand new airfield as a new PPL and I think going through that process as part of the PPL would have been no bad thing.
None. The syllabus I followed was two landaways. I asked if I could do one and my tormenter said "Yes!". I flew to Henstridge where I had not been before and came back a pilot. My flying had plateaued but this was that point where it all clicked. Enjoy your XC. It is a very satisfying milestone.
tomshep wrote:None. The syllabus I followed was two landaways. I asked if I could do one and my tormenter said "Yes!". I flew to Henstridge where I had not been before and came back a pilot. My flying had plateaued but this was that point where it all clicked. Enjoy your XC. It is a very satisfying milestone.

I second the point that your first solo cross country is the milestone that really makes you a pilot. Plus it has the added benefit of you having time during it to really appreciate what you're doing. Wonderful stuff.

PS your instructor will send you when you're ready and not before.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By condor17
Think it still is this ,
''''In my day, one of the airfields used for the QXC had to be one at which you had never landed before.''''
As ,
Our examiners ask that the QXC has one destination which has not been visited before .

rgds condor ,
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yep, when I did my QXC i had already done the route previously with the CFI. My land aways before the QXC (back in early 2016) were:
Dual land away: Humberside to Gamston and back
Solo land away: Humberside to Gamston and back
Dual QXC route: Humberside ->(overhead Gainsborough and Melton Mowbray) -> Leicester -> Peterborough Conington -> (overhead RAF Coningsby) -> Humberside
Actual QXC: as above.

I also did the low level navigation and RTB before the QXC due to the weather postponing the QXC four times.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
...and so I turned to get my chart so that I might identify it and it had slid off the seat and was now in the rear footwell just out of reach whichever way I turned.

I learned about negative G from that. :wink: