Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

I am well into my PPL and will soon emabrk on solo navs. I was wondering if I should invest in a hand-held radio transceiver as a backup for radio failure? I'm thinking that I will need one for flying after I get my licence so why not get one now for peace of mind?

Suggestions on models/makes grately appreciated. Also tips on what features I should look out for.

Cheers!
On the whole - no. At low-hour PPL level it'll be more of a distraction than a bonus, just fly non-radio and land. Also the probability of a radio failure in an installed system is tiny - I've had one in an SEP class aeroplane in well over 1000hrs.

A scanner to listen to RT whilst you're learning - yes, and much cheaper.

If you're going microlights, might be buying a permit aeroplane, then yes - they're quite useful.

G
David Wood liked this
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm thinking that I will need one for flying after I get my licence

Why do you think you will need one?

I have not got one (a handheld) nor ever needed one in twenty odd years, even when a group aircraft radio did throw a wobbly - aeroplanes fly ok without a radio. I do accept that in some places you do need one but you will have one/two? in the aircraft you are flying, and they are much more reliable now.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I've had one in an SEP class aeroplane in well over 1000hrs.

Ive had 2 in about 250-300 (I don’t count) hours. A transceiver got me back from Jersey on one of those occasions.

They are relatively cheap.... if you can easily afford it, go for it, but don’t skimp on more essential stuff as radio failures really aren’t that common.
By David Wood
PaulB wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I've had one in an SEP class aeroplane in well over 1000hrs.

Ive had 2 in about 250-300 (I don’t count) hours. A transceiver got me back from Jersey on one of those occasions.

They are relatively cheap.... if you can easily afford it, go for it, but don’t skimp on more essential stuff as radio failures really aren’t that common.

You don't really need one. I've not had a radio failure as such in over 3,000 hrs of SEP flying, excluding incidents of battery exhaustion which in a vintage aeroplane is one of the risks of the game. But in any case, as has been pointed out, aeroplanes don't crash just because the radio fails. Sadly they do all too often crash because the pilot forgets the first rule of aviation (FFFA) and becomes distracted by trying to sort out an otherwise non-life threatening problem like a radio failure.

If you've a transponder then 1) squawk 7600 and, 2) make your way to an airfield, whilst 3) keeping your eyes wide open and engaging max common sense/airmanship, before 4) joining any way that is safe and sensible, and 5) landing, before 6) popping up to the tower and explaining why you did what you did. No-one will ever criticise you for doing the above. If you haven't got a transponder then miss out step 1 only.
By TopCat
I broadly agree with what's been said - sudden failures of otherwise reliable equipment are rare; fly the aircraft, squawk 7600 and all that, but I wouldn't discourage the OP from getting a standby one if he's minded to.

A radio failure could also result in the need to replan the route, as blundering into CAS non-radio would not go down too well. Admittedly this is a lot easier with Sky Demon than it used to be, but even so, for a low hours pilot this could add a lot of extra workload, arguably more than fishing the standby radio out of the bag, plugging the headset in and carrying on.

OP, if you do get one, make sure that:

- It's 8.33 KHz capable,
- It comes with a headset adaptor so that you can plug in your headset. What you absolutely do not want to do is try and communicate by shouting into its mic and attempting to hear its tinny speaker output over the noise of the engine.
- You know how to use it BEFORE you need it.
- You ensure its batteries are ok. Don't use rechargeables, otherwise they'll be flat when you need them.

FWIW, I had dodgy radios for years until the 8.33 KHz regs forced me to change them, and I used my standby one quite a few times.

Well worth having, IMO.
By David Wood
TopCat wrote:
OP, if you do get one, make sure that:

- It's 8.33 KHz capable,
- It comes with a headset adaptor so that you can plug in your headset. What you absolutely do not want to do is try and communicate by shouting into its mic and attempting to hear its tinny speaker output over the noise of the engine.
- You know how to use it BEFORE you need it.
- You ensure its batteries are ok. Don't use rechargeables, otherwise they'll be flat when you need them.

And I would second that sound advice.
By PeteSpencer
Getting a scanner only is a complete waste of money.
Go ahead and get a (833) transceiver:

I use my tranceiver all the time. invaluable to get ATIS and start up clearance without having to fire up the avionics only to have to switch them off again immediately before start up.

Also stick it in an Aquapac to sling over your shoulder for sea crossings just in case.

Also useful at a certain E Anglian airport to contact tower to find out where the hell the fuel bowser that you ordered on landing 3/4 hour ago has got to.

Oh and if your a/c only has one radio it might come in handy if that lone radio fails :wink:

Peter :roll:
Flyin'Dutch', PaulB, Bobcro liked this