Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well I think I can class myself as a student again as I've signed up with CAPT for a CPL(A) Theory Course! Or rather my wife has signed me up as an early Christmas Present. What have I let myself in for?

Why am I doing these? Purely as I aim to become a Flying Instructor on a part-time basis around my day-to-day job in IT. I am not aiming for a commercial career but would like to go on to do some more advanced instructing in future, i.e. Aerobatic / Instrument. Instructing has always interested me and am really excited to be on my way!

Decided to complete the ground school prior to a Flight Instructor course as I'm also enjoying flying again since re-validating my licence earlier this year and ensuring I have a lot more recent experience before undertaking the training.

I only wish my FAA CPL would have given me credit towards the theory exams, obviously not!

I think my other half has had enough of being the only one studying at the moment and thought it a good idea when I suggested I study along side her! :D
Paul_Sengupta, Danny, Spooky liked this
By David Wood
That was exactly my thinking too, and I don't regret it. Instructing is very enjoyable indeed.

The need for CPL theory (if you want to teach PPL) is a completely illogical embuggerance but, whilst that requirement may change, it's with us for the time being and so you are doing the right thing by biting the bullet and getting the CPL TK done - even if you find that much of it is more or less irrelevant to you.
WelshRichy liked this
By WelshRichy
Thank you David and I will certainly enjoy instructing, it is something I have looked at but has taken twenty years to get my finger out and do something about it. It is a case of now or never.

Time will tell with regards the theory but everything I have read points to it being more or less irrelevant for instructing, although I suppose at least Piston Engines is part of the course. Not sure if I will ever need to use GC convergence angles or the more commercially geared learning objectives but hey ho the exercise is at least getting my head back in the studying game.

As preparation for the instructor course itself I am also looking at the the questions in Standards Document 10 but need to put these on a back burner whilst I get the CPL exams done and dusted, plenty of time after these, going to take it nice and easy and not rush the process.