Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://info.caa.co.uk/eu-exit/student-pilots/

Received notice of this today from CAA Skywise service ; EASA PPL training that I've spent my hard earned cash on could be all for nowt if my training is not complete by March 29th 2019.

This is "a bit disappointing".....I'm 35 hours in and, this time last year, I managed to get no hours at all in between mid November and mid April. So far I've seen nothing that makes me think this year is going to be any different, which means that my chances of having the minimum 45 hours (let alone what I actually need :D ) by the March deadline are practically zero.

Of course I went EASA route as I had every intention of flying in Europe. Now there's a real risk that I will end up with something that doesn't give me what I've paid for and I might as well have gone down the LAPL route [in which case Id've probably been done by now, saved a bunch of cash both on lessons, exams and medicals].

Of course, a no-deal brexit isn't a certainty and, even if it happens my flying school could pitch for EASA approval - I can't imagine that would be cheap or easy and therefore I think that is an unreal prospect.

God knows what those who are part way through their professional licence make of this, its stomach churning.

I'm hoping someone else will read this and tell me I've misunderstood the notice and got it horribly wrong....

Anyone else got a cunning plan ? :pale:
By Paul_Sengupta
t1m80 wrote:Of course I went EASA route as I had every intention of flying in Europe. Now there's a real risk that I will end up with something that doesn't give me what I've paid for and I might as well have gone down the LAPL route

You realise the LAPL is also an EASA licence and allows you to fly in Europe, right? :D
"Where a Competent Authority other than the CAA would be the State of Licence issue, the European Commission has said that it would not recognise training courses conducted by UK-issued approved or declared training organisations where training for a licence, rating or certificate is completed after 29 March 2019"

The "State of Licence issue" is the CAA though, isn't it? So the rest of that sentence doesn't apply, if I've interpreted it correctly.
By johnm
Basically it’s saying that a French student training for an EASA ppl in the U.K. is stuffed if training not completed before 29th March and U.K. leaves EASA.
By t1m80
Thanks for all your responses, I learned a lot :D.

I confused LAPL with the NPL. Got that straight now I think thanks.
And, in sheer blind panic, I missed the bit about it applying only where the issuing authority is not the CAA.

I wondered why the forum wasn't flooded with angry students!

You can all stand now. :thumleft:
By jaycee58
t1m80 wrote:Thanks for all your responses, I learned a lot :D.

I confused LAPL with the NPL. Got that straight now I think thanks.
And, in sheer blind panic, I missed the bit about it applying only where the issuing authority is not the CAA.

I wondered why the forum wasn't flooded with angry students!

You can all stand now. :thumleft:

Don't worry, you'll soon get used to the idea that almost any document issued by the CAA or EASA will require several pages of discussion on this forum before ordinary mortals are able to interpret the real meaning of said document. This is why you'll find 27 pages on something as "simple" as a pilot medical declaration.
By t1m80
Unfortunately, it looks like they see it the way I originally did ... assuming that a "no deal brexit" means that we are out of EASA of course.

From http://www.ftnonline.co.uk/2018/11/26/no-deal-brexit-chocolate-uk-fcl-pilots-licence/

"According to the CAA the European Commission has advised that, if the UK withdraws from EASA, any course completion certificates issued after 29th March by schools approved by the UK CAA will not be accepted by EASA Member States for licence or rating issue.
Meaning, the CAA will no longer be able to grant European Part-FCL licences as they will no longer be a Competent Authority under the EU Regulations."

I spoke to my training school a week or so ago and they seemed to know bugger all about it.

Not being defeatist, but with this weather, the chances of me flying before the end of march are pretty remote anyway which I guess reduces my opportunity to 'waste' any money, and hopefully we'll know the score by then! :?
By GrahamB
All it means is that you would only be able to fly a G-reg, unlike at present where you can fly any EASA reg anywhere with a Part-FCL licence.

You’ve four months to go; depending on how far along the syllabus you are with your 35 hours that’s plenty of time to complete if you are flexible and able to grab slots when you can.

I did the complete course starting In January and completing in the first week in April back in 1993, in Wales, so it can be done!
By PeteSpencer
GrahamB wrote:I did the complete course starting In January and completing in the first week in April back in 1993, in Wales, so it can be done!

And I did complete PPL course Nov92 to Mar 93 in E Angular.
Mildest winter for years, only one weather cancellation in 60 hours flying.

Good luck.

Peter
By t1m80
Thanks for the motivational comments, it's not lack of motivation: I've been trying to book 2 x 2 hour slots a week for the last few weeks and every time it's been cancelled due to weather. It's just bad luck I think. My lesson bookings seem to be a better forecasting tool than most other tools I've come across :D
cockney steve liked this
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^ A bit like my car-washing! I got wise about 20 years ago....Wash windows when they are too obscured.....wait till it's actually humming it down, wait for a pause then use a soft broom and brush from a dustpan (kept for the purpose, I'm not that slack). continued rain swills away the loose dirt.

Despite that, Lancashire is still wet, noted for it's high humidity, which is good for spinning Cotton......Still got the rain, Cotton is history.