Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By sammym
Anyone done them recently?

I am looking into them - however I have one concern. I am doing a fair bit of reading. And it seems like the law changes very regularly.

The latest Pooley book on law came out over a year ago. So it's going to maybe be a bit out of date.

So do they update these exams often to account for this? Or will the book have all the info I need?

Also anyone who has done the exams recently - and websites/apps you'd recommend?

Cheers
By Wicksay
Hi. Started reading the books (2nd hand out of date from ebay) and using apps and websites to test myself. I will probanle gey a set of current test papers/books. Im Planning to do all nine exams over the winter.

App - ppl tutor
Web - easy ppl ground school

Good Luck
By sammym
Cheers - also planning on getting the exams out of the way before January. Not that I'll stop learning - just then I don't have that 'thing' to do.

I'll download ppl tutor.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I Understand It....It's all a bit of a farce. The exams are not updated as often as the rules change, therefore, some questions will expect an answer of what the law "was" at the time the question was written......If you answer the law as it "was" you'll get a pass! If you answer that it's changed and now "xxxx" applies, you'll also get a pass, though you've answered the question wrongly!....It's only an exam, there's always a chance to resit.

I, too would be wary of buying a new ,but out of date book....in fact, even if it said "2018 edition" (or, whatever is the current year when you read this post!) It's likely the law on something has changed between the decision to print and the book being on the shelf!

Really, nothing else changes so dramatically.....It's possible that Nav will move from the days Harrison invented the chronometer to the use of GPS, but weather and physics don't change much, nor do human psychology and physiology, though our understanding of the subject- matter does improve. An outdated book is better than none for airlaw but you'll have to be prepared to relearn the bits that have been superseded. Oh, Radiotelephony is supposed to be structured, so that should be easy to learn and listening-in will attune your ear to hearing all those non-standard calls!
By AlexJR
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
ppltutor will get you 75% with most exams but you won't get 100% and may not have a broad understanding of the topic.

My technique was to read the book through, highlighting etc but no need to take extensive notes, then spend a few days doing the questions again and again on PPL tutor. Hard to know all the material but relatively easy to pass the tests.

NB the sessions you have available and make sure you make good use of each one. I made the mistake of needing all 6, which then meant the pressure was on at the end!
By Sir Morley Steven
The exams were written in 2014. If you use airquiz (similar short cuts are available) you will pass the exams but not know the subject.
If you read the books, understand them and get high marks in al the post chapter questions you will know the subject and pass the exams. After, talk to your flying school about an air law update.
By lobstaboy
I do agree with Sir Morley. Focusing on simply what is needed to pass the exams is not right, and will not make you the best pilot you can be. These subjects are key knowledge that you need to properly know and understand for your enjoyment and safety as a ppl.
The fact that you can easily pass an exam in them should be incidental - you need to know and to be able to use this stuff folks!
Delta Echo liked this
By Delta Echo
many students wants to just pass the exams... I ve seen students who has not opened their PPL book even...or just havent got a book... just went through the questions again and again to have routine without understanding.

1. read the book
2. understand the theory, do not concentrate on only the questions :)
3. practice just to be trained to answer quickly and know the exam method.
I think its a good way if you do the exam practice, and when u read a question, know why your answer is the chosen one, and why the other options are not correct. so try to explain the correct answer before clicking.
you can practice here, there are a lot of explanation pictures as well: http://www.flygo-aviation.com/aviation- ... and-study/

but read and understand the book and the theory at first :)
good luck!!
By NewFlyer78
I'm currently in the middle of my exams. My technique for each subject:

1) I read the Pooley's APM book and do all the questions at the end of each section. Where I get a question wrong, I go back to the chapter and read that section again.
2) I tend to make light notes in a notepad as I go along to memorise the important stuff.
3) I subscribed to Airquiz and PPL Tutor app. This is good for practicing on the train, lunch breaks ets. It also shows which areas you are weak in.
4) I tend to read the book again, this time focussing on my weak areas. The book made more sense to be the second time I read them.
5) Moc Tests at my flight school.
6) More Air Quiz and PPL tutor app until I was hitting 90%+ each time.
7) For Air Law, Ops, Communications and Met, I also purchased the Pooley's exam question booklets as they have really good revision notes at the end of each practice paper.

As a result, I have hit over 90% in 6 exams within 2 sittings. I also feel I actually understand the subject areas rather than just having passed the exams - this is something very important to me on my route towards a good (and safe) pilot.

Hope this helps!
TopCat liked this
By Malcvxer
Useful info. I too used PPL Tutor. After a few weeks I regularly achieved 90%+ in Law and Ops. However, when it came to the real thing I found that although SOME of the questions were identical, some were phrased differently or used different wording. This threw me a bit and caused me to get a couple wrong (but still 80%). Also bear in mind that the CAA exams for PPL have not been updated with latest legislation - so be aware of old rules to answer the questions (although correct answer annotation won't of course count against you.)
By lobstaboy
Malcvxer wrote:Useful info. I too used PPL Tutor. After a few weeks I regularly achieved 90%+ in Law and Ops. However, when it came to the real thing I found that although SOME of the questions were identical, some were phrased differently or used different wording. This threw me a bit and caused me to get a couple wrong (but still 80%).)

I'm pleased that you passed. But why on earth was it a surprise to find differently worded questions in the real exam to those you had been practicing with? Come on, it's an exam to test your knowledge and understanding of an important subject. To me it sounds as if you expect to be able to memorize the questions and answers and then to regurgitate them parrot fashion. That isn't what's needed to make your a good pilot.

I know this is the student forum. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but this is not a game...
TopCat, Morten liked this
By Malcvxer
Please be aware that, I hope like other students, I take this very seriously. I don't subscribe to be "parrot fashion" method of learning - we all need to absorb this knowledge and use it wisely. These various programmes are very useful additions to the normal learning process. If I made a "mistake" it was getting so used to passing 100% on the app that I was a little "thrown" at the exam proper. I simply wanted to highlight this to others so they might be aware.
lobstaboy liked this
By riverrock
AirQuiz certainly used to NOT be copies of the actual questions, but questions in a similar style covering the topics. When you get something wrong, it gave details of why & how to get the right answer. However it does mean you need to revise that section of knowledge more.

When I did it, there were other apps and guides which were pretty much copies of the actual exams. my advice is to only use those once you are getting near 100% in AirQuiz, with no areas needing extra revision.

There are certainly areas in the exams which are of little practical use, but the vast majority is useful to flying, so it is important to know the material, not just pass the exams.

I did it a few years ago, but I was told to not answer certain questions because they were no longer applicable / correct, and that new exams were sent to ground examiners from time to time. Does this not still happen?
Malcvxer liked this