Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By PPLITALY
Hello Everyone,
I am a student pilot from Italy, currently doing my PPL, I passed my written exams, but I have problems going on with the training. I haven't flown for two months because the aircraft has undergone maintenance, and it is often unflyable. So the problem is that I have 20 hours of flight, without having done my solo flight. The main problem here is, yes the only aircraft the school has, but the flight instructor. I have got two of them, the former comes from the military and continues to shout and always touches the flight controls. He says thaf he knows everything, and that we are all ignorant plus he makes fun of the people and students, he flies with. The latter is a civilian pilot, much more quiet and patient and I fly better with the civilian one rather than the military one. The problem is that the civilian has just become a flight instructor and hasn't got enough flight hours to let me fly solo, only the military one can sign me off. Would you suggest to speak to the impatient flight instructor and say that I will fly with the civilian colleague and that he will sign me off for my solo when I am ready, or quit flying here, get the money of the flight hours which i havent still done back( the contract says so) and do the PPL in another flight school?
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers from Italy!
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This Forum will always tell you "never pay up front" Too late now!......You should tell the Chief Flying Instructor (hopefully not the Ex-Mil loud mouth) what you have said here. If he is the CFI, then try the school owner and explain that the instructor is belittling the students who keep him in a job...or face up to him and tell him to his face.....either way, you are not in a good position to learn and get any value for your money. You'll do yourself , the school owner and even the mouthy instructor a favour, by stopping this abuse. (Even if he loses his job, he'll probably reflact on it and modify his attitude)

Getting your unspent credit back, may be an uphill fight, first give them a chance to put things right....If you are not likely to make the grade, an honest school will tell you and refuse further tuition. If you put your fears fairly, you may just feel the need to walk away and take legal action to get your unspent money back and continue elsewhere. Make sure you get your logbook with all hours "signed off" I don't know how different your rules might be from the UK, but AIUI a full copy of your training record should be made available to you or your new trainer..... talk to your Civilian instructor likely he will guide you, seems unlikely he will enjoy working with such a nasty colleague.

Note I am not a qualified pilot or school owner or legal person. My opinion is just that, an opinion. I think you are in a bad place right now. you are not getting what you are paying for. get hard!