Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Ant379
@Paul_Sengupta

Its clear to say my knowledge of how much cash is required for this sort of business was way under estimated.

Still, I am not going to give up. I will book a flying lesson to see what I think. I may even do a few in different aircraft to expand my thought processes and see where I want to be.

At this time, I don't have the spare time to invest in the studying aspect of a PPL but I am sure this will change in the new year.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ant379 wrote:@Miscellaneous

That's more realistic - I have regained happiness again now :)

Much cheaper than a brace of Mustangs :roll:

Peter
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:But touring Europe with the family isn't a realistic proposition in a microlight...at least if you only have one of them.

To be fair, you can't get two families into most C of A four seaters, either.
By Ant379

when you say two families. How can you in a four seater? Two adults / two kids should be fine shouldn't it.
By Rob P
As long as the kids are small, you don't have much in the way of baggage and are happy to fly short sectors because you can't fill the tanks up.

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Ant379 wrote:

when you say two families. How can you in a four seater? Two adults / two kids should be fine shouldn't it.

It was a joke due to the ambiguity of my comment...
By Rob P
You will gather that all of us are enjoying watching your education from the sidelines.

Each of us has been there, none of us feels superior or condescending.

In a few years time the roles will change and you'll be gently nudging some new arrival in the direction he/she needs.

It's actually quite fun.

Rob P
By BehyBill
The most important thing to keep in mind, your family wife & children may not like going on a trip to Europe in a GA aircraft, so check that first as it is the thing that goes beyond your control, the rest is just money :D

They may change their mind if you fly them on a Phenom 300 or Mustang jet but a PA28 or even a Cirrus SR22GTS is not as tasty as it seems to non-flyers (put simply they don't have a toilette :lol: )
By Ant379
@BehyBill

Haha. As it happens, my fiancé is ex cabin crew. She loved every minute of the job. She only quit so we could start a family. She has even showed interest in wanting to do a PPL.

I went to Barton Aerodrome yesterday with the boys. They loved the novelty of seeing planes and helicopters up close and in action.
There was a white and orange Piper there. My son thought it was Dusty - I never heard the end of it!

I have to say, although I didn’t speak with anyone, there was a sense of family community there with the park benches, play ground and cafe. It looked quite a relaxed atmosphere.
Paul_Sengupta liked this