Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
John, 71, I learned at White Waltham in 2000 and the teaching there was pretty good.

Soon after my PPL I was taken through IMCR by a splendid lady called Hazel Twinn who now flies commercially.

I now have a PPL/IR and share a TB 20 at Gloucester.

Tips:

Never stop learning
Try to keep up with the rules. IAIP amendments and AICs are not great bedtime reading, but worth engaging enough to know where to find official information.
Understand weather and get a set of forecasting sites you like and use them to get a good picture, have a look at weatherweb.net for Simon K's excellent stuff, he posts on here from time to time.
Get a good iPad or Tablet flightplanning and moving map system. Many like Skydemon as I do, but others are around and very good according to fans on here
Share experiences and look for mentors, at WW Lefty is a great place to start!
AlanC liked this
By cadoganpier
Managed to pass four more exams today, 3 to go, sitting those next Friday. Several slots booked in the next couple of weeks to get the QXC out the way so weather permitting might be ready for the test soon, I've set myself the target of getting it done this year (v v anxious to get it done before Brexit D Day).
By Glider Steve
Hi All. I’m 52! Started gliding in August and about to start NPPL from a farm strip near Bath. Plan is to join a C42 or Eurostar syndicate once qualified, and work towards cross country gliding.

Discovering flying has come as a total shock to me. I can only compare it with falling deeply in love.

I am v intrigued to know your plans at becoming a professional pilot at 51 Lee.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MachFlyer liked this
Well I guess I’m a student, if not quite what you were talking about.

Last week I took instruments and air law, failed flight planning. I’m doing the CBIR TK at present. Will do the last 10 hrs early next year and hope to have a shiny new ICAO IR early next year.

I fly a Cirrus from Dunks, I do around 100 hrs a year around the UK and EUROPE. I love being able to get up in the morning and fly to Italy or Croatia. Although more often it will be somewhere in France or Scotland.
Wicksay liked this
By stevewarbs
stevewarbs wrote:I am 55, passed my PPL in a PA28 10 years ago and have done around 10 hours since. First time then aircraft availability meant my licence lapsed.

This year I have bought an X-air and fly out of a farm strip, I have had 7 hours of instruction and at 14:00 wind permitting I will be doing dual circuits and then hopefully going solo for the first time (second time really)

An hour ago I moved the sheep out of the field, just having lunch then I will be on my bike for the 1/2 mile ride to the strip :)

Flying just for [very slow] fun and loving every minute

The solo didn't happen on the day above and I have had numerous attempts since with the wind out of limits so plenty of dual practice but today it all came together and after 10.5 hours I did my second 1st Solo. :D

This time round though I felt that I was in command of the aircraft where in the Warrior I now know I was really just a passenger. I learnt to pass my test in the Warrior but in the X-air I have learnt to fly.

Can't wait for the GST now....
stevewarbs wrote:
stevewarbs wrote:I am 55, passed my PPL in a PA28 10 years ago and have done around 10 hours since. First time then aircraft availability meant my licence lapsed.

This year I have bought an X-air and fly out of a farm strip, I have had 7 hours of instruction and at 14:00 wind permitting I will be doing dual circuits and then hopefully going solo for the first time (second time really)

An hour ago I moved the sheep out of the field, just having lunch then I will be on my bike for the 1/2 mile ride to the strip :)

Flying just for [very slow] fun and loving every minute

The solo didn't happen on the day above and I have had numerous attempts since with the wind out of limits so plenty of dual practice but today it all came together and after 10.5 hours I did my second 1st Solo. :D

This time round though I felt that I was in command of the aircraft where in the Warrior I now know I was really just a passenger. I learnt to pass my test in the Warrior but in the X-air I have learnt to fly.

Can't wait for the GST now....
Amazing Steve... once bitten eh?! Do you have to complete the PPL all over again after a long lapse.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
By t1m80
Hey Wicksay, watching your progress with interest.

I'm 53 and 35 hours into my PPL, started at Headcorn but moved up to Rochester as it was nearer my home (10 mins by motorbike) and getting hold of an instructor down there was hard at the time. Always wanted to fly but was just too busy. I work from home at the moment so I can make the time these days although I think that might be coming to an end sadly. Seriously thinking about doing something else for a living sometime soon so am fascinated to see how you get on!

Good Luck!
t1m80 wrote:Hey Wicksay, watching your progress with interest.

I'm 53 and 35 hours into my PPL, started at Headcorn but moved up to Rochester as it was nearer my home (10 mins by motorbike) and getting hold of an instructor down there was hard at the time. Always wanted to fly but was just too busy. I work from home at the moment so I can make the time these days although I think that might be coming to an end sadly. Seriously thinking about doing something else for a living sometime soon so am fascinated to see how you get on!

Good Luck!
Well when I'm 53 I hope to have completed my PPL... that'll be a year to the day ... exactly.

I'm lucky to have an instructor there who also teaches the MEP course. So my plan is currently; PPL, 50 hrs PIC in a syndicate (probably), then tackle the MEP, then more hour building until I can do the CPL. Will put other ratings in as well as when time and money allows.

Job wise, I have no aspiration to join an airline so; instructor or survey or calibration or drop zone or banner... work.

Lee

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
By Sandman
After 11 hours I managed to do my first circuit today with 4 touch and go's and I still have a grin on my face. Even though it's a lot to take in, in a very short amount of time, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the circuit. I had done a few take off's already but these were my first landings. The instructor let me follow through on one circuit and touch and go and then it was up to me (with a number of in flight help/corrections by the FI of course).

I need to watch my airspeed more closely during the manoeuvres but other than that I think I did quite ok. No lessons anymore in 2018, hopefully some decent weather early January because I'm already looking forward to practice more circuits with landings and takeoffs.

Sander.
MachFlyer liked this
Sandman wrote:After 11 hours I managed to do my first circuit today with 4 touch and go's and I still have a grin on my face. Even though it's a lot to take in, in a very short amount of time, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the circuit. I had done a few take off's already but these were my first landings. The instructor let me follow through on one circuit and touch and go and then it was up to me (with a number of in flight help/corrections by the FI of course).

I need to watch my airspeed more closely during the manoeuvres but other than that I think I did quite ok. No lessons anymore in 2018, hopefully some decent weather early January because I'm already looking forward to practice more circuits with landings and takeoffs.

Sander.
Hi Sandman. How's 2019 been progressing for you?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
By David Smeaton
Hi, I am 58 and I have been fascinated by aviation most of my life since visiting my Uncle on his RAF base when I was aged about 8. He flew Vulcans, so being taken to see them and taken up on to the flight deck has had a lasting impression on me. I have done radio model flying and full size gliding although never to solo standard, and not for some time. Family and work has got in the way but now I want to try powered flying.

I am booked in for my first 1 hour trial/1st lesson next week! I am very lucky that one of my friends is a qualified fixed wing, and rotary, instructor and has agreed to be my FI on the journey. If all goes well, and having talked it through with him, we are going to start aiming towards the LAPL. I want to do this purely for recreational use so this should be sufficient.

I will be flying out of Staverton, Gloucestershire.
Paul_Sengupta, mick w liked this