Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jazzer
Evening all.

Has anyone had experience at the above establishment and if so how was it?

I posted about a year ago in relation to learning to fly however life was hectic with my young family and that dream was put on hold.

I am now in a better position to seriously consider starting however I'm torn between gliding or PPL training.

I appreciate there's pros and cons to both but as it stands am swayed more to gliding mainly due to the cost implications.

So I was just wondering if anyone had been to Portmoak and could share their experiences. It is the closest gliding club to me however I wouldn't mind if people chipped in with their experiences of other gliding clubs.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jazzer.
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fully agree with FlyinDutch that days at the gliding club are time-consuming. However, I would argue that, on the good days at least, gliding is more fun than just bimbling about in power.

If you particularly want a fan or a stuck for time, but cost is the driving factor in potentially choosing gliding, you could always consider a LAPL or NPPL on motorgliders (the Super Dimona is lovely to fly and cruises at reasonable 90 knots), or an NPPL on microlights.

Why not book a one week course at Portmoak next spring and see how you like it? That could give you a really good taste of gliding and the club, for the cost of two or three hours PPL training.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Glider Steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Guys. Happy to tell you that I actually do both. Started gliding in August and after much deliberation have decided to go NPPL (microlight) with powered. If you’re thinking of a kite with a fan on it, think again. Modern microlight such as the C42 and Eurostar are state of the art and more than capable machines. I have a family and I’d say that with a little understanding it’s possible to both without too much time impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk