Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By pizzytinzel
I'd echo what everyone else has said. It's important to be keen (I know I was champing at the bit when I first started) but try not to let that turn into frustration.

Learning to fly can be a bumpy ride; exhilarating and totally awe inspiring at points and down right depressing at others. Ride with it and enjoy it, no matter how long it takes (I'm still a student pilot; It's taken me 3 years to do 27 hours but I've not lost the stoke for flying).

In terms of kit, all of the books can be had 2nd hand, except for airlaw; I got mine for a tenner from the forum classifieds and just bought the latest airlaw & meterorology one. Ditto for the nav computer (E6B).

You don't need a headset yet and you don't need a fancy flight bag yet - just something to carry a few bits and bobs.

You'll definitely need a logbook (I got the "standard" Pooley's PPL one) and a kneeboard would help. The "Flyboys" ones are quite nice ;)

I've got 2 more pieces of advice:

1. Find and join your local LAA Strut. It's a fantastic support network of like-minded people. You'll see a different side to flying than your "school stuff" and probably get to go flying in some different machines and to more interesting places in the process, as well as having access to a broad range of knowledge. Being in that environment can also help you decide what your "mission profile" looks like, post PPL (i.e. what am I going to do with my new found skill). You'll also eat a lot of cake.

2. Get a dedicated notepad for debriefing. This has helped me massively through my training. I note the date & time, what a/c I was flying, the weather (wind dir & strength, cloud cover and anecdotal stuff like if it was a bit bumpy), the runway and then some notes on what went well and what didn't go so well. Because I have been averaging 4 weeks between lessons, it's really helped me keep an eye on habits I'm picking up and to address and to "remember" what previous flights were like. I usually fill this in whilst having a coffee straight after the lesson.

Hope that helps.

CJ.
Rob P, Kittyhawk liked this
By sammym
As people suggested - I didn't go out. Which wasn't the end of the world. I'd have liked too - but the cloud was so thick I'm not sure I'd have been able to see anything at all.

I have another lesson booked in now - I've got some books off ebay to do a bit of reading. And I'll swat up before I do any flying.

Thanks for all the advice given.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Do the books not go out of date?

It's worth buying the latest air-law book, but most of the rest - frankly you could use a book published in the 1970s and the vast majority of the content is still valid.

(Of course, many would argue that nav should be massively updated in these days of GPS, but it hasn't been yet).

G
By sammym
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Do the books not go out of date?

It's worth buying the latest air-law book, but most of the rest - frankly you could use a book published in the 1970s and the vast majority of the content is still valid.

(Of course, many would argue that nav should be massively updated in these days of GPS, but it hasn't been yet).

G

That's good - I got an unused starter kit from ebay and well under half the price of a new one. It even included the checklist for the sort of plane I want to train on.

I'd read it was only the law book that really matters. So I'll buy a new map and a law book and still be over £100 better off. Whilst not much in the scheme of learning to fly planes it's better in my pocket than someone else's.

Also managed to get my medical booked for next friday - £90 for the first one and the doc says it's cheaper after that. I'd read about it online and I think that's a really good price. I was expecting to pay around £200 so I'm happy.

Now I just need to get into an actual plane. I just hope after all this effort I don't hate it!

My plan is to get the exams done asap. And then do the lessons as intensively as possible. I'm even happy to do 2 a day. I want to get the licence and then from there see where I want to take it all.

Again cheers for the advice everyone :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
cockney steve liked this
By sammym
Cessna57 wrote:Your medical is with an AME, not a normal Doctor isn’t it? Just checking :wink:

Given it came from a recommendation from a flying school I'd hope so. He first asked if it was class 1 or 2 and if it was my first medical. So I think I'm covered.

My suspicions after talking to the Doctor is that he is someone who enjoys flying and does it a couple of days a month. And he could potentially be retired. But that's a bit presumptuous on my part.
By TopCat
sammym wrote:I can't be doing with wasting all my free time to just drive miles and be told no.

In that case, make understanding meteorology (ie weather) your first priority whenever you're not flying.

Not only is weather incredibly interesting in its own right, understanding it will turn you into something of a minor deity in the presence of your non-flying, and hence intellectually inferior peers.

You'll find that you're able say things like "ah, this is just a cold front passing through, it'll be bright sunshine with puffy clouds in two or three hours time", when it's absolutely pissing down, howling a gale, and dark as a dark thing.

Or say, "ah but it'll be pissing down tomorrow", when it's clear blue today, apart from a few clouds with curly leading edges way up in the sky.

Obviously these things need to be said with an air of breezy confidence - don't let them know how you can be privy to these deep mysteries.

Which will also enable you to decide whether you'll be flying tomorrow, which is handy, and saves a bit of petrol.
Morten, cockney steve, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
sammym wrote:And then do the lessons as intensively as possible. I'm even happy to do 2 a day. I want to get the licence and then from there see where I want to take it all.

Again cheers for the advice everyone :

One more piece of advice re the above.

Your training days aren't something to be got out of the way before you get to real flying, they are some of the most enjoyable hours you'll ever fly, so in your hurry to get your licence don't forget to enjoy every frustrating minute.

Rob P
TopCat, JAFO liked this
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:Your training days aren't something to be got out of the way before you get to real flying, they are some of the most enjoyable hours you'll ever fly, so in your hurry to get your licence don't forget to enjoy every frustrating minute.

This is absolutely excellent advice.

I'd include the studying too, in this. Don't just view the writtens as something to get out of the way. View them as a opportunity to learn - really learn - about flying. Flying will be a richer experience if you understand what's going on as well as being able to pole the aeroplane about.
Rob P liked this