Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By sammym
So I'm very very much up for learning about flying. I contacted a local school who said they did trial lessons for £80 - but that was just a circuit I was told on the phone, so I signed up for a one hour trial flight which costs £180.

I was asked to pay over the phone as apparently some people don't turn up. I've looked at reviews of the school and they seem very legit.

But I'm looking at the weather and it says heavy rain and wind and average visibility. Now obviously I'm no expert given I have never been in a small plane - but am I likely to go out in that weather?

And if I don't do you get your money back? I didn't think to ask this but I'd like to know whats standard in this industry.

Cheers
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
sammym wrote:But I'm looking at the weather and it says heavy rain and wind and average visibility. Now obviously I'm no expert given I have never been in a small plane - but am I likely to go out in that weather?

No, you are not.

As others have said, if you've paid then in all probability they will just reschedule. If they don't, then avoid them. Get used to it - that may happen more than once. It's just the way it is - the weather is unpredictable.

Trial flights would normally take place in good visibility (better than 10k), with a cloudbase greater than 1000 - more likely greater than 2000 feet - above the ground.

Usually in lightish winds too. Turbulence can take a little getting used to.

The point of a trial flight is to enjoy. Enjoy flying, enjoy the view.
By flybymike
My first trial lesson was pre purchased with a gift voucher (exactly the same as paying in advance)

I had to rearrange the actual date of the flight three or four times due to unsuitable weather.

If they want your business they will be keen for you to enjoy your first lesson in good weather and that’s as it should be,
By sammym
Thanks all.

I shall call them tomorrow and ask if it's likely to go ahead. Annoyingly I'm having to turn work down to do the trial flight (self employed) which is no problem at all if I actually fly. But highly irritating if I am not able to have a go.

I am really really excited to learn to fly - and wouldn't mind going out if it was a bit rough. I don't mind a bit of turbulance when I'm flying on a big jet like an a380 and they can get very shakey.

I'm starting to think going somewhere warm to do this would be a better idea. I can't be doing with wasting all my free time to just drive miles and be told no.
By sammym
Also just to add - I've looked on the met office website. It's meant to be a yellow weather warning for when my trial lesson is for wind.

Does this mean 100% that I have no chance to fly? Because if it does I'd rather call them tomorrow and rebook. I can then take the work and this will pay for 2 more flying lessons rather than wasting the day driving for no reason.

Cheers

Sam
By Flyin'Dutch'
Hi Sam,

They are very likely willing and able to reschedule.

Just do that and after you've had your trial lesson and a chat decide whether you want to carry on and carry on with them.

And whatever you do don*t pay for the course up front.

Enjoy your trip.
By Cessna57
Which school?

Phone them early and discuss it, they’ll be keeping an even closer eye on the weather than you will!

I always tell people we can fly with a reasonable cloud base and as long as the vis is reasonable, but high winds (in the wrong direction) aren’t even debatable.

They’ll not worry if you phone them for chat about it, if they aren’t receptive to a chat about conditions a day or two before, you might want to think about a different school.
By sammym
It's Almat out of Coventry Airport - and it's meant to be at 9am on Sunday morning.

I've realised that this is meant to be fun so I'm not going to worry about it. What's meant to be will be. I was just a bit excited to get going. It looks like the weather is improving anyway - so I might be in with some luck.
By Paul_Sengupta
If you do learn to fly, and not just for the learning part, you'll have to accept that any flying in this country is subject to the vagaries of the weather. You can make a reasonable guess at what the big picture of the weather will be over the next week or so, and a more reasonable one within three days, but often, with Britain's propensity for frontal systems and showers outside that, you won't know anything for certain until you turn up at the airfield, and even then you might have to abandon a flight half way through and either turn back or divert.

There will be periods of "definite yes" and those of "definite no", but there's an awful lot in between in this country, and what might be suitable for one pilot may be unsuitable for another.

Looking at the current forecast, I'd say Sunday morning was a definite no in the midlands and south, but where the border will fall between the low cloud and heavy rain and the higher lighter cloud, well, who knows? :D
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Those of us who have been flying for a year or two smile quietly as you get your first lesson in GA in the UK climate. It will possibly be formalised one day as

Exercise 0.5 - Bloody weather!

Remember, as long as the flying school know that your intent is to progress to a licence, and you are not just a one-off joyrider, they will go out of their way to nurture you.

Have fun anyway

Rob P
By avtur3
sammym wrote:
.... I shall call them tomorrow and ask if it's likely to go ahead. Annoyingly I'm having to turn work down to do the trial flight (self employed) which is no problem at all if I actually fly. But highly irritating if I am not able to have a go..... .

Hopefully you'll enjoy the flight and the bug will bite, however the frustration of working around the wonderful UK weather is something that is very much part of learning to fly in the UK.

Picking up on the point you made about balancing work (income) against the expense of flying, like most people you need to do the first to enable the second. It isn't uncommon for lessons to be cancelled due to weather and on occasion it may take 2 or 3 times of rearranging before the weather comes good; that is a fact of life in the UK, you need to be able to accept and work around that.

Enjoy your flight.
By sammym
Thanks guys - my biggest crime is just being a bit keen.

I've booked the medical for the 5th so two weeks from today. Got it for less than £100 which seems pretty cheap to be honest. So I'm not complaining.

Now I've seen these starter kits from pooleys... Any advice on what I can buy to get going?
By merlinwiz2k
sammym wrote:Now I've seen these starter kits from pooleys... Any advice on what I can buy to get going?

As little as possible for the first few lessons, until you are comfortable that you're committed and have an understanding of how long you think you'll take.

Buy as you go isn't a bad plan, in the starter kit there will be some stuff you definitely need, some stuff you might need and some stuff you'll maybe not need.

Also eBay, etc is very good for second hand student stuff.
By sammym
merlinwiz2k wrote:
sammym wrote:Now I've seen these starter kits from pooleys... Any advice on what I can buy to get going?

As little as possible for the first few lessons, until you are comfortable that you're committed and have an understanding of how long you think you'll take.

Buy as you go isn't a bad plan, in the starter kit there will be some stuff you definitely need, some stuff you might need and some stuff you'll maybe not need.

Also eBay, etc is very good for second hand student stuff.

Do the books not go out of date?