and I thought Rob was being derogatory (sorry Rob, I'll wait until we've shared beverages!)
So I'm spending my days until my medical using PPL Tutor App on my phone. The UI is a bit hard work but it's proving useful when I have 5mins here and there in the day time and I'm using easyPPLgroundschool.com on the PC. My approach with these is to take the test fail some questions and revise and retake. This weekend I'm picking up some Pooleys books and bits I bought as a bundle on ebay, so I'll have some real reading and studying to do locked away in my study. That is assuming Flightgear doesn't distract me too much, just downloading my ppl training aircraft.
So my rough plan is this (I'm working on the real one with duration and costs). So please shoot it down as necessary;
1. Class I Medical (11 / Oct)
2. PPL Ground school Exams over the winter (Nov / Dec)
3. Start PPL Oct if medical ok - 45-55 hours (hope not longer)
4. Night Rating - 5hrs?
4a. RT Licence
5.*10 hours Hour Building as PIC
6. IR(r) 15hours + 6 exams (This would be useful to improve my flying and give me more weather windows for HB, but not totally necessary for CPL I presume)
7. *60 Hours Hour Building as PIC
8. MEP 6 Hours + exam _ test flight
9. *30 Hours Hour Building as PIC
10. CPL / APTL Exams (9 or 14)
11. CPL 25 hours (or 28 hours if I do the MEP in the CPL)
12. IR (seems a long way away ... !)
*HB required for each rating. Will need to plan out where from/to, when (weekends/weeks off work) and in what aircraft; School, Syndicate, Other?