Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

1st SOLO NAVIGATION
It's already 2 days after the most amazing day I've had all year, and that is very understated given I've just fulfilled the first huge step in a life long dream.

I had no nerves and was really cool about the whole experience, right up until the sneaky instructor threw me a curved ball and told me check out the aircraft and taxi it round to the pumps. Not having done that before, I was really nervous! Funny, that. I know I've not flown solo away from the airfield but I have never got in on my own and started up and taxied somewhere!

Refuelling completed, and the 3 spitfires and tiger month departed later we completed two circuits with a go around and out hops my instructor, waving me off. I radioed "student G-xxxxx ready for departure", checked final for any approaching aircraft and as I rolled onto the runway the parachute caravan, radioed he was being cheeky and jumping in front of me... only at Headcorn!

And there I am, full power, 55knts and off and away .... relaxed & concentrating on my departure and climb out to 2300ft on a heading of 220 heading for Hailsham routing Rye & Ashford. A pure sense of happiness along with sunshine, freedom and the realisation i am actually doing something I first knew I wanted to do when I was 7 years old standing between the left and right seats in the cockpit of the jetliner taking us to our Spanish holiday.

There are many reasons its taken this long .... but none that dampen the elation I have as I climb up to 2800ft past Bewl Water & Heathfield and know Im clear of Gatwick Airspace and then make the left turn along the coast from Eastbourne to Rye... I'd just like this simulator to have a pause button so I can take it all in!

A few aircraft passed below me and across my flight path and made a small diviation for one so at least he knew I had seen him. I enjoy the view I maintain a good lookout (note to edit that the other way round in case my instructor reads it!) I note the time, make my turn and call overhead Rye. A min or so later another student does the same. This repeats itself again over Ashford, along with another two aircraft a little further out but making the their intentions clear. Frustratingly as, everyone else was behind me I couldn't see them and had to trust that they could see me. I had started my descent before Ashford and continued it to the MSA of 1800 approaching the deadside to allow for manoeuvring helicopters across the circuit and the Spitfires flying a right hand circuit compared GA flying the left hand circuit - I know - only at Headcorn, but luckily today I find my way into the circuit was clear and normal, right up until I was over the threshold.

Inevitably I was too fast, and too high and had left some power on.... after the first bounce I could and probably should have gone around and it was too late after the second bounce but I stuck it out and got her rolling on 3 wheels and stable. After I caught my breath and vacated the runway, I realised just how many spectators there were watching ... oh well... that's a how not to do it photo opportunity... lol

And that folks, will be a day and a flight I will never ever forget .... and just to put a cherry on it I took one of my exams and got 100%!

TOTAL: 36 Hrs, SOLO: 2h 38m, IMC: 36m, PPL:32h 46m
==========================================
FlightDek, Paul_Sengupta, MachFlyer and 9 others liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Many congratulations! Sounds like a great day out and an exam pass too, wow :)

My instructor always avoids Headcorn like the plague because of all that strange activity

~ Scott
Hello fellow fledgling fliers,

It’s been so long since i’ve last posted I had to search for my thread. It’s great to see the student forum so active!

Since my last lesson in October i have had my Navigation and my Flight Planning exams to complete. Frustratingly I left them too late to do on the old paper system I became a guinea pig for the school on the new portal (on the dark side)!

More about that in another post, just to say 4 attempts later I think I’ve passed them both. :roll:

So yesterday I finally got back in the LHS. We flew some circuits, did a re join, practiced a go around and a downwind engine failure. I was surprised how 2nd nature it all felt even with butterflies in my stomach. I even nailed the landings.

Here's to a happy flying 2021. :D

Wicksay
Last edited by Wicksay on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Hunt, T6Harvard liked this
By Steve C64
Great to be back isn't it. Just back in the seat myself and in the second session I've been going through Steep turns, Stalls and PFL's . All Ok, after a bit of practice... however, the inner ear needs re calibrating a little ! The breakfast stayed where it was , but the fresh air vent was very welcome for the return from the practice area to the airfield :oops: A glide approach with a bit of a X-wind and a busy pattern, for the final challenge of the day, went well though. So, back on the path to the QXC, the first solo leg of which I 'd completed in January last year!
I started this in October '18 and had put a year aside at 3 lessons a week to see it through... well that was over optimistic ! I managed to fly about 1 in 5 of those bookings entirely due to the weather through 2019 (first use of 'unprecedented') , and then, yup, the Bat Flu... (and it's been unprecedented ever since!). I'm hoping this will be the year to achieve the dream, but , hey, I'm getting used to my flying school community, perhaps it will never end! :wink:
T6Harvard, Wicksay liked this
By T6Harvard
Good to see you back at it, Wicksay! It's a good feeling when stuff comes back to you easily, eh?

Please keep us updated - your's was the first Student thread I read before I dared to book lessons, so I think you share part of the blame for my flying addiction :lol: 8)
Wicksay liked this