Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yay Go Wiksay! Let battle commence.....

G-ATWJ is a Cessna 172. I also had a go in G-BOKX which was a Piper Warrior but I don't think it's there anymore.

Also, Julie the Ops Manager, is the sister of my Best Man. I hadn't seen her for about 30 years 'til I took my first flight at Headcorn.

Hopefully bump into you sometime (bad choice of words!).
t1m80 wrote:Yay Go Wiksay! Let battle commence.....

G-ATWJ is a Cessna 172. I also had a go in G-BOKX which was a Piper Warrior but I don't think it's there anymore.

Also, Julie the Ops Manager, is the sister of my Best Man. I hadn't seen her for about 30 years 'til I took my first flight at Headcorn.

Hopefully bump into you sometime (bad choice of words!).

Yes that would be great. Julie has been very helpful. Tony is my Instructor. I'm next booked in for Sat 22nd am. Image

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
GeorgeJLA, Christo liked this
t1m80 wrote:Excellent. If it's not chucking down and the wife hasn't provided a pre-christmas taks list I'll try and pop down!
I guess you didn't make it! Damn those task lists. I had a great 2nd flight. Straight level and balanced Stepping down from 3000 on the join through 2000 and 1000 maintaining heading and altitude each time while being asked to do a FREDA check and having fun in the turbulence!!! Also had my first head on break right... All in all a fabulous lesson. Next one booked for the 5th at midday.

A le Ron, GeorgeJLA liked this
By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No, sorry I'm afraid it all went terribly wrong that week! Engine in car went kaput and had to be replaced AND part of the roof on my house collapsed and had to be replace rather quickly too!

And I haven't even started the list I was given :-).

I haven't managed to fly since 6th November so I'm dead jealous! I was supposed to go up on 5th too but was cancelled due to illness and was due up again on 7th but cancelled due to low cloud base. Next attempt for me is 12th and then 14th.

I will try make it down sometime though,
It's been a while since I last posted progress, but rest assured I'm flying weekly and progressing with enjoyment and to a seemingly reasonable standard (no harsh words, actions or repremands from my Instructor. Phew!

My Son was visiting over Christmas and as he came on my first trial flight out of Shoreham I wanted him to come along for a ppl flight. It was the 5th Jan, and as you can see from the pic, the conditions were soupy.

This was a power climbing lesson, and in the briefing we were doubtful of going up and doing the lesson. This was my assumption on the 1hr drive to the airfield and set expectations with my Son that; "we're not flying today", I warned him.

During the briefing my Instructor said there's one possibility, he''l check the cloud base and top. and if it was within limits and we were ok with flying he'd take us up above the cloud to do the lesson.

Well, the met office website stated the cloud base was at 3000ft and the tops 4000ft. I had a chat with my Son and we agreed to go up flying. What an amazing experience. Watching my Instructor fly on Instruments in the cloud, keeping an eye out for any icing, and as he was just about to decend at 3800 I said to try try for 4000 and in that second we saw the shaded sun and burst through the cloud tops! OMG. What a flight, what a lesson and to be able to share it with my Son. Sheer majesty.

We flew the lesson and then my Instructor asked if I have control, and to keep a fixed heading and altitude, while he checked out position. With our position established and a new course set we defended and he took control and flew us back down through the cloud and back on to terra firma. What a buzz!! And my son took some memorable pics.

Since then I've completed climbing turns and defending turns, taken off and landed (with a little help from the RHseat and completed the stalls lesson... woohoo ... why did I wait sooooo long?!

Next up is circuits .... I'm taking a week of in feb to hopefully get a couple of back to back days flying in and just maybe .... the S O L O ... shhhh, best I don't know about that before it's too late.

Thanks to all for their ongoing support.
t1m80, MachFlyer, Rob P and 2 others liked this
By Wicksay
Off to Headcorn tomorrow for two lessons as I'm starting circuits. Also doing my Air Law exam over lunch.

Calm yet excited. Weather looks good.

Should be a great day out!

t1m80 wrote:Congrats on the Air Law pass, it all seems to coming together quite nicely for you:
Thanks T1m80.

After two weeks away from flying due to holidays I had an exciting double lesson yesterday doing circuits and emergencies. The first lesson was a roller-coaster but the wind was straight up and down the runway. I seemed to cope OK. The second lesson the wind had dropped nicely and I managed to get one circuit without my instructor intervening... Woohoo. Nailing a landing was an amazing feeling. He muttered something about being nearly ready to solo... Eeek!!

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Rob P, FlightDek, t1m80 liked this
By Wicksay
Thinking ahead. Please share your experiences about your first few flights after getting your ppl. Did you fly solo, buddy up, join a syndicate. Did you hang around your home airfield or venture further afield. How long before you tackled an overnight journey or multi leg journey?

Thanks
Lee

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk