Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is the bar and/or cafe open at Headcorn? I'll pop down some time, I haven't seen Julie for ages so might fly down just because :-)

Can't do this weekend or next weekend but let me know when you're there after that and I'll try and pop down
By t1m80
Well it's all happening now isn't it guys! Finally popped my first flight with a passenger who wasn't an instructor. Did half hour of circuits at Rochester before taking a scenic route to Lydd for a cup of tea, and then back again with the wife.

It's been a blast and I learned a lot :-). My landings are a bit flat so I need to get some more circuits in and I forgot to get ATIS inbound to Lydd. But all good and all part of the experience. The missus now wants flying lessons........
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
t1m80 wrote: I forgot to get ATIS inbound to Lydd.

They're really friendly at Lydd. I do enjoy going there.

Last lesson, I could hear them talking casually to a local pilot about his engine troubles. Nice feel to the place even though I guess it'd like to be bigger/busier

Did you get the drone experience when you got near?
By t1m80
Nope, no drone this time but seen it there once before. Was bigger that I was expecting! I agree about the friendliness, had a good natter with ATC in the morning before I got there and the guy was super helpful.
I've been meaning to post my flight review from my first flight back but after reading it a few times I realised I was just always behind the aircraft and waiting for instruction.

Since loosing the BA job due to covid 19 I've been lagging behind life in general, waiting for some inspirational guidance.

I was due to fly Sun am but it was just soup and my instructor wanted me to pop along and do some exams. I said I wasn't ready. I was still in my own IMC.

I jumped on my flightsim and decided to plan/fly the mornings intended route and to practice getting in front of the aeroplane.

Pleased with myself I found Rochester from Headcorn, and impressed with my free flights I'm, in my training aircraft, I suddenly realised why I struggled.

Flight planning I just write down the numbers and do the calculations. X miles y minutes Z Altitude. Climb to 23 head approx 350 degrees and 12mins later there's Rochester. But doing it on the sim and trying to stay in front of all the events required to be a compentant pilot, 12 mins is over in a blink of eye.

That first leg to an overhead way point is just like flying a circuit with one event after another.

Flight planning and preparation have just taken on a whole new meaning. With practice my flying can move forward...

Now where's that lifesim software...?

Next trip Friday morning
Rob P, tommyp1441, t1m80 and 1 others liked this
By t1m80
Excellent stuff. I've been using x-plane for a few years now. Microsofts Flight Sim 2020 is release tonight at midnight for download, so I'll be giving that a bash tomorrow.

I've booked a couple of hours sat morning and another couple sunday morning. Going to hopefully rattle of some circuits on saturday, but if I get bored I might pop down to headcorn for a cuppa. Sunday should be taking my daughter up.

Fingers crossed.......
By Rob P
t1m80 wrote:Microsofts Flight Sim 2020 is release tonight at midnight for download, so I'll be giving that a bash tomorrow.

I am downloading on Steam. Three hours so far and the progress bar has stalled about 1/3 in.

Rob P