Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Merlin83b
The standard is the 1:500,000. But really, get whichever your school/instructor tell you to :)
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unless you are flying something really slow, the 1:250,000 can become a hassle since it would need constant refolding. The 1:500,000 is also the one used in the Nav exam.
By akg1486
I use 500, but I think 250 is the better choice for training: there are more details that can be identified by looking out the window.

The folding issue is a real one, but hardly during training.
By Lerk
I used the half mil, but did try a quarter mil for my first navex as it had more detail and actually saved folding (my home base was right on the crease of the half mil)

It depends what your local area is like for landmarks as to whether you’ll benefit - the world seems very small when you are first let loose!
By Melanie Moxon
I used a 1:250,000 as it was big enough to have everything on it I needed, including the full QXC route which would otherwise have spanned two 1:500,000 charts.

So I would echo @Merlin83b, get whichever your school/instructor tell you to use.
By mick w
mattmoxon wrote:I used a 1:250,000 as it was big enough to have everything on it I needed, including the full QXC route which would otherwise have spanned two 1:500,000 charts.

So I would echo @Merlin83b, get whichever your school/instructor tell you to use.

Do you have this Chart about Face ??. :?
flybymike, PaulSS liked this
By Morten
mick w wrote:
mattmoxon wrote:I used a 1:250,000 as it was big enough to have everything on it I needed, including the full QXC route which would otherwise have spanned two 1:500,000 charts.

:lol: I guess we can deduce that @mattmoxon's QXC was somewhere around the join of 2 1:500,000 charts, which is closer to the middle of a 1:250,000 chart, e.g. at the longitude of Manchester or Leeds.

From e.g. Pooley's:
"Half mil" charts:

"Quarter-mil" charts
Last edited by Morten on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick w, Melanie Moxon liked this
By Rob P
It pays huge dividends if you master the McKillop fold.

https://www.nodomainname.co.uk/duncanof.htm

It reduces the chart to a manageable size for the cockpit and makes accessing the next section simple, without the need for three hands and a larger cabin.

Rob P

Another vote for the half-mill :thumleft:
By mick w
Morten wrote:
mick w wrote:

:lol: I guess we can deduce that @mick w 's QXC was somewhere around the join of 2 1:500,000 charts, which is closer to the middle of a 1:250,000 chart, e.g. at the longitude of Manchester or Leeds.

From e.g. Pooley's:
"Half mil" charts:

"Quarter-mil" charts

Time for another holiday :oops:
By Morten
Rob P wrote:It pays huge dividends if you master the McKillop fold.
https://www.nodomainname.co.uk/duncanof.htm
It reduces the chart to a manageable size for the cockpit and makes accessing the next section simple, without the need for three hands and a larger cabin.
Rob P

I have never been a fan of that - it doesn't go that small and it's easy to get 'lost' flipping the chart over unless you just fly EW. It is also not 'scaleable' - i.e. it does not, as far as I can tell, work with anything taller (or wider) than 4 sections in one direction.
If you want the ability to never have to unfold it bigger than book-size regardless of track followed, a more intuitive way to unfold as you go along and no limits on the size you will need to use something like the Falk folding technique like I described here. It is very nifty but requires a bit more work - and a knife!

Realistically, though, I have found that even on relatively long trips, a judiciously folded chart as part of the pre-flight preparation requires little other than a turn-over or simple refold in flight. And then there's always a suitable GPS moving map alternative as well ;)
By Rob P
Morten wrote:. And then there's always a suitable GPS moving map alternative as well ;)

Currently not for students.

Rob P
Morten liked this
By Melanie Moxon
Morten wrote:
mick w wrote:

:lol: I guess we can deduce that @mattmoxon's QXC was somewhere around the join of 2 1:500,000 charts, which is closer to the middle of a 1:250,000 chart, e.g. at the longitude of Manchester or Leeds.

From e.g. Pooley's:
"Half mil" charts:

"Quarter-mil" charts

Indeed, it fitted nicely on Sheet 6 at 1:250,000

Humberside to Leicester (via overhead Gainsborough and Melton Mowbray), Leicester to Peterborough-Conington, Peterborough-Conington to Humberside via overhead RAF Coningsby :)
Morten, mick w liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Morten wrote:If you want the ability to never have to unfold it bigger than book-size regardless of track followed, a more intuitive way to unfold as you go along and no limits on the size you will need to use something like the Falk folding technique like I described here. It is very nifty but requires a bit more work - and a knife!

Another vote for the Falk Method - Use the modified one which requires no knife.

I am too thick to understand the McKillop method and manage it.