Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By bookworm
Another vote for the Falk Method - Use the modified one which requires no knife.

It pays huge dividends if you master the McKillop fold.

I no longer use a chart to navigate. I use Sky Demon, which transitions seamlessly between 250k, 500k and everything else.

I do still carry a chart though. It's a Search and Rescue aid. If I crash in the middle of nowhere, I'll simply get my chart out and start folding it. Within two or three minutes, someone will come along and tell me that I'm folding it wrong… :)
GrahamB, Rob P, JAFO and 4 others liked this
By matthew_w100
Lerk wrote:I used the half mil, but did try a quarter mil for my first navex as it had more detail and actually saved folding (my home base was right on the crease of the half mil)

When I fold a chart I always ensure that my home base *is* on a fold, preferably two. Because your home base, surely, is the one place where you won't need to refer to a chart!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:
Lerk wrote:I used the half mil, but did try a quarter mil for my first navex as it had more detail and actually saved folding (my home base was right on the crease of the half mil)

When I fold a chart I always ensure that my home base *is* on a fold, preferably two. Because your home base, surely, is the one place where you won't need to refer to a chart!

And maximises the distance you can travel without having to refold. Assuming you're not flying some sort of spiral.
matthew_w100 liked this
By Lerk
matthew_w100 wrote:

As a first solo XC which went north and south of the field - I was happier with the field in the middle!

Unfortunately Gamston doesn't quite sit ON the fold, but just below - with most training routes heading north.

Not an issue once you're a bit more comfortable in the cockpit and your local area, but every little helps when you're bricking it!
By riverrock
I'm based at Prestwick, so within the overlap between the N. England & Scottish 1/2 mill charts. Therefore I ready one or other of them depending on whether I plan to head North or South (as tablet backup).
Depending on where I'm planning to go, I would potentially want any of Sheets 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the 1/4 mill ones, with both 3 & 4 covering Prestwick. Thats too many to stay on top of, for infrequent use, so I don't keep them up to date. I'll sometimes bring the old ones for passenger interest.
By Morten
The OS service and products are second to none in my opinion. Although there are some spectacular hikes back home in Norway, the equivalent hiking maps dissolve after very few refolds - the OS ones take some beating ... And the 'map centred where you want it' is a great trick.

Probably less useful for aviation where distances travelled tend to be longer than the average hike!

Of course, if you want an aviation chart which is - and stays - centred on where you are at all times, there's an app for that ;)