Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I bought a share before I got my licence back. The local ATO wouldn’t countenance training in an aircraft they didn’t own at that time, and I didn’t realise that there were other options, but I bought the share anyway as I knew it was an opportunity that might not come back round again soon. It was still a great thing to do as it gave me a goal and kept me motivated whilst I trained and after I had my licence I had people to fly with and to learn from.

It was a group of ten, and I’ve been (and am) in successive groups with them. If you are doing it to make your PPL cheaper then good luck, but it might not work, however it does mean that you are more likely to keep flying after you’ve got it. If you’re renting it can be much harder to keep up the enthusiasm due to inflexibility on the part of the renter, whereas I’ve had some incredibly memorable journeys with fellow group members.

Just don’t be that guy that owns a share in a plane for ten years, but has never had a licence (unless that somehow floats your boat).
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BehyBill wrote:I guess engine less than 12 year/TBO and a CoFA, the rest (e.g. insurance, who flies...) is a matter of agreement with the ATO

See section 23 of https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/St ... 202013.pdf (page 30).
Essentially, an ATO needs to be happy with the aircraft, and the aircraft must be legal to use. They need to update their paperwork to include the aircraft.
There is nothing in the rule book to exclude someone getting training on their Permit to fly self owned aircraft, except whether that aircraft can be used for renumerated training (don't think it currently can).
By cockney steve
@riverrock said
that aircraft can be used for renumerated training (don't think it currently can).

It can if the figures stack up :wink:

IIRC the rules are currently in a state of flux and the instructor is certainly allowed to be remunerated for his efforts, the aircraft's costs are also recoverable from the trainee (AIUI)
By Genghis the Engineer
Out of curiosity, I just went looking for the rules on this.

There were some documents in the ORS4 series detailing what could be done in joint owned aeroplanes w.r.t. training. They seem to have been withdrawn in 2016 and incorporated into the ANO, according to the CAA's website.

But I can't seem to find any record in the 2016 ANO of what can, or can't, be done. Does anybody know where the rules are actually laid down now?

G
By riverrock
This: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=8508 gives a good overview as well as being the doc which gives permission for non-ab-inito hire / training in permit aircraft.
Under ANO 2016, Permit aircraft can be used for training by those above, as this is considered to be
a non-commercial operation. Commercial operations being defined in Article 7. When payments are
made by the owner or part-owner of the aircraft (for example to an instructor) it is regarded that they
remain non-commercial