Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

I have my air law coming up and I super confused about something I believe should be very simple. It's to do with "The Semi Circular Rule".

The question is, word for word...

"If an aircraft is in the cruise on a magnetic track of 270 degrees in accordance with the VFR might choose cruise at which of the following levels to avoid other aircraft.

A. FL 45
B. FL 40
C. FL 35
D. FL 30

270, west, fits it in with even 1000s +500ft for VFR so I imagine the answer to be A - FL45.

The answer is given in the back of the book as C. Is this an error or am I going mad?

Thanks
If it helps any, when I conducting ground exams and it is obvious the answer is incorrect I will credit the mark to the student assuming they are able to answer it correctly to me and send an e-mail to the CAA's examiners@ e-mail address and advise them.

I would hope that most would take a pragmatic approach where there is clearly a mistake. What is important is that the candidate understand the semi-circular rule as it applies to flight under VFR.