Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Oki Watashi
Thanks for the information guys, I’ll be waiting till I get my case sorted out, then I’ll get some lessons and see if there’s a normal GA aircraft I can work efficiently.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You say "normal GA" aircraft......There's a microlight that comes with the option of an electric fuel-pump....but then it magically becomes a Certified aeroplane........or, the kit-built one that is a microlight, but if you have the option of the factory-built one, you get all the certification, expense, paperwork and controlled maintenance that goes with the Certified route.

Do not discount "microlights" nor LAA "Permit to fly" types (although these are primarily Homebuilt, the LAA also have oversight of any "Orphans" where the manufacturer has gone broke/vanished . a lot cheaper and more flexible than the CAA (Costs An Arm :roll: ) alternative that makes you buy parts with an impossibly long lead-time, at a humungous price, from a manufacturer who doesn't want the liability for a "legacy" product, anyway.
note the rules regarding training, hire, overflying buildings, night, IMC......are gradually blending and consolidating. Probably not in my lifetime, but I see the cold, dead hand of regulation , gradually relaxing,before it throttles the life out of GA.....did I mention SSDR, or even Nanolight?......A brave new world of freedom last seen when the Wright Brothers started. Though it did briefly re-emerge when the early Rogallos started to fly and again when they gained a motor (briefly)
By Oki Watashi
I’m just glad that there is something that I’m allowed to fly. The irony is, that I’d really like to train for IFR, night flying, multiple engines the whole lot and I should have the time and the money, but won’t be allowed to because of my injuries. Infuriating, I can see a lot of these “ dangerous “ pastimes being squeezed out. Even motorcycling was getting ridiculous for insurance etc. I was 44 when I last had a bike with a clean license and no claims and the cheapest i could get was over £500, shocking really. I would love to do a home build, though I’m not sure I’m up to it anymore, so once I get everything done i reckon I’ll be looking for a kitfox type thing, and monster tyres!
By PaulB
If you really want to do all that and some of it may well be possible.... but not while you're on the opiates. That, I suspect is going to be your biggest barrier.
By Oki Watashi
Yes, that’s the big one. Once the case is settled, I’ll be trying to get off them. I’ve tried in the past, but without the doctors help it’s too hard. Thanks for all the input folks.