Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By flyingyod
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Isn't "flaps" one of the pre-take-off items?

It is. I've edited my post slightly to reflect this. I was always taught to do the last pre-flight checks from the checklist, then memory items of

Fuel both
Altimeter set
Transponder to ALT
Pitot heat if required
Landing light on

before lining up. On the day referred to above I knocked the flap level whilst turning on the transponder.

The point I was (possibly badly) trying to make is that it's always worth a final check just before you start the takeoff roll regardless of how many times you check them as part of the checklist, just in case you/passenger/dog has inadvertently "adjusted" something. Everything should be set for takeoff by this time, so in theory I won't (for example) be going near the transponder again so I will have passed the last point where I might accidentally knock the flaps
Paul_Sengupta liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Isn't "flaps" one of the pre-take-off items?

There is a big difference between actioning a checklist and reading a checklist, just because an action is written on a checklist doesn't guarantee a pilot will perform that action.

Confirmation Bias is a common human failing that should be well understood by pilots especially those operating as single crew

Many serious accidents and incidents have been caused through aircraft misconfiguration.

Its even more important for the single crew pilot to adopt procedures that can trap errors and a duplicated check of a critical action is one of the easiest to adopt.

Measure twice, Cut Once!
Nick liked this
By GolfHotel
Harry Brown wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Out of interest, are there any aircraft that won't climb at all with full flap?

Of course, especially at an airfield that is Hot & High

Sorry I know I shouldn't. :D :D :D

Ask TCT
Nick liked this
By ChrisRowland
What would the hot and high go around procedure be? Full power first, then no more than arrest the descent, gently raising the flaps to the climb position as the speed builds. Speed rather than height until you have the climb speed. Same as usual really but more care.
By Harry Brown
No change in the go around procedure but you need to consider at around 5000 and ISA plus 20c your climb rate is going to be approximately halved in a normally aspirated a/c (after leaning). If the high element contains mountains too, which it often will, climbing towards them at around 250 ft per minute may lead to an intimate experience with the scenery! In fact some high altitude airfields do not have a go around option. Many pilots also forget that turning radius increases with the increased TAS at altitude . Poor climb performance at altitude and increased turn radius are the cause of many canyon accidents in the US