Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

2016 and Im flying a couple of times a week, all exams completed, radio and QXC done in 44 hours and im test ready. Im also enquiring about local groups to join once passed.

**Work load increases ( I run 2 small businesses) **

2017 I manage 3 hours logged with 6 months in between the last two lessons.

2018 not flown at all.....

My last lesson in 2017 was a complete mess, it was intended to be a recap on upper air work with some stalls. I'd completely forgotten everything.

I feel its going to take at least another 10 hours to get back up the point I was at in 2016, has anyone else had such a long gap in training and if so, how long did it take you get back into the swing?

Blimey, life can really get in the way sometimes.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's not ONLY available there... ;-) - as you've mentioned it, here is a taster, http://www.higherplane.co.uk/dvdpromo.wmv
I don't mind the mods removing or 'adjusting' the content of this post, I had already written to Andy before Paul blew the crumbs of his keyboard and posted.
OptiGone liked this
By johnm
Given the amount of time @Irv Lee spends on here offering sage advice, a little bit of promo seems the least we could do and I'm sure the mods would agree!

His material is excellent IMHO
Nick, cockney steve, B1engineer and 5 others liked this
By Irv Lee
JAFO wrote:He just needs to do one on landing now and I'll be fine.

Dvd.... very painful experience often many hours of elapsed for a 10 second shot due sun/shade or other continuity problems. Landings:
1) mark the BOOK approach speed (not the barista's favourite approach speed) on the asi with a wax pencil line... (check units or you could be about 10 out!)... you will find it much easier to stick to correct speed on final.
2) stop trying to land at a particular place on runway (eg numbers), but of course be very "go around" aware if not at Brize or Heathrow. Save aiming for numbers or similar until you are doing good landings.
3) do the "energy feel" and ratchet technique described in dvd.
Just keep going at it!

I have had several year+ breaks in my training due to family and work commitments. I have done most of the exams twice (or more) as they have expired. I think I am in the running for longest duration PPL! I started way back in 2011 and as you say, life sometimes gets in the way.

I only need my QXC and test which weather permitting should be done by the end of August.

I am lucky that I seem to fall back into it when I start again, and haven't really had to cover any old ground (some instructors say my competency is better after 9 months off than some of their students that they see weekly :oops: ). I guess it helps that I read a lot about flying, and am frequently planning and dreaming about trips to do once qualified. I still expect to qualify within the 45 hours (though 11 hours of my instruction are so old they no longer count!).

If it is something you really want to do just book another lesson and crack on.