Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm looking to upgrade my LAPL (A) TMG to a full PPL (A) and I'm thinking of giving Airbourne Aviation a try. Although Old Sarum is just up the road, Popham isn't too far. They seem to be a smaller club with fewer instructors but better availability and more flexibility. They have a Katana, which I've heard good things about (and I liked the Dimona I did my TMG on). Rumour has is it that the cafe at Popham is better too.

Before I take the plunge and book a lesson, are there any others on here who have had instruction with them who can give me some feedback? Also I know there are a few on here that fly from Popham, do they generally have a good reputation and is Popham good to fly from (friendly, surfaces in good condition, not too congested, rumours about the cafe correct)?
By Paul_Sengupta
I'll just comment on the cafe! :D

It is good, but you must like breakfasts and cake. That's their forte. Other than that it's sandwiches. Old Sarum does a whole range of food. I've not had the breakfast at Old Sarum, so I wouldn't really want to compare the two. They're different. :D Popham's probably quicker to get served on an Old Sarum skydiving day, no big queues. On special event days Popham don't do the breakfasts, but there are bacon rolls, burgers and sausages on the BBQ.
Dusty_B liked this
By webdevduck
Thank you for the cafe review! I like both cake and breakfasts, as well as BBQs. Unfortunately though, although they initially indicated they may be able to do the PPL upgrade, the CFI has now been in touch to tell me they can't do it as the Katana doesn't have the nav aids. Still, I'm sure I'll swing past at some point to sample the delights from the cafe :)
By skydriller
webdevduck wrote:Although Old Sarum is just up the road, Popham isn't too far.

Between the two is Thruxton (just off the 303 nr Andover), with 2x runways & the Jackaroo restaurant on site. I think WestonAir have PA28s & Slingsby fireflys...

Regards, SD..
By webdevduck
Thanks SD. Looks like the cafe has decent reviews on tripadvisor, another one I'll have to visit before the year is out!

I haven't really considered Western Air so far due to the hefty solo hire rates. I've visited Hampshire Aeroclub and am currently waiting to see when (if?) their Robin comes back on stream. If it doesn't come back by the time the reasonable gliding weather peters out, then I may have to reconsider.