Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TCornish
Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advisory on this one. With ambitions on doing my ATPL integrated next year, possibly, but until then I'd like to get some hours under my belt before making the big jump right into CPL ground school and flying. I have been working for the past few years so flying has only been the infrequent trip with close friends, but with the bigger aim of leaving and going to an integrated flight school.

As it stands, I'd like to at least get a licence and gain some hours, but the PPL is integrated into my course nonetheless so from my perspective, why pay £8500 for something I may cover down the line. Even so, some schools offer a discount to PPL holders before starting their course but I'm not so sure about the one I have in mind.

At the current moment I'm just spending my time with the odd infrequent trip but I'd prefer to get some valuable flying experience and tutored flying, rather than trips I cannot put down into a logbook. Is it worthwhile of me gaining a PPL before making the jump to ATP, given that I may be covering the aspects already learnt as part of GS?

Is it worth joining a syndicate/club with the ambition to gain hours, hiring an instructor and learning from there and gaining confidence before making the jump to integrated ATP? I have heard this can no longer be done under CAA reasons and insurance will just increase due to minimum hours, and some syndicates may not be so welcoming of someone without a licence.

What do others think? I've been bimbling around for the past few years whilst flying with friends but feel now is the time to really get some tutored, logbook-worthy experience under my belt that'll contribute down the line with my ATP and put me in good shape when it comes to that. I don't aim to go modular, I must say. Should I just bite the bullet and either go PPL or not fly continuously until I begin my ATP?

Can only really see two outcomes myself - go PPL, £8500 down and continue hour building, or chuck money on fuel share but cannot log the hours.

T
By TCornish
If so, is it even worth considering and just continue with unloggable experience flights/fuel sharing with no merit? Usually trial lessons would be conducted with the aim of going onto a PPL after, I suspect.