Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By BrianTrowbridge
I fly an open cockpit gyroplane and use Sky Deamon but with a chart tucked away in the storage pocket. However, if I had to get the chart out in the air, I think I might struggle.

I keep a folded section of the chart in the clear plastic leg pocket but would not want to get it out to re-fold on long trips.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a backup navigation aid to go with Sky Deamon for use on longer trips?

I saw a gyro fitted with 15 GPS brackets at Sywell last year!
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Photocopy (a4) the chart-areas pertinent to the proposed flight, staple together in "flip-chart" style. they'll fit in the leg-pocket and pages could be flipped out of the pocket as the flight progressed, if you staple the bottom edge of the "book", which, of course, will be nearest the open top of the pocket....or you could use a velcroed kneeboard.
By Merlin83b
Is the failure you're protecting against that of your tablet or of SkyDemon as a whole? I have SD installed on my phone as well as my iPad to protect against tablet issues, and a GNS430 (soon to be a GTN750 :D) as a completely separate nav source.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BrianTrowbridge wrote:I saw a gyro fitted with 15 GPS brackets at Sywell last year!

Can never have too many GPSs! :D

Would suggest another device running EasyVFR basic, and another one with the CAA charts on Memory Map or Air Nav Pro.

All coupled to the aircraft electrical system. Or a plethora of batteries.
By BrianTrowbridge
Thank you all for the useful ideas. I will also have a look in the cockpits at Old Warden this weekend to see what other gyronaughts are doing.

Brian