Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By G-WALES
Hi all,

I have my written IR(R) ground exam coming up in the next week. To date I’ve been using the Instrument Flying Book 5, getting reacquainted with the Whizz Wheel as I’ve heard there are a fair few PLOG style questions. I’ve loosely been using the EASA PPL IR(R) questions app just as a bit of general revision.

Anybody say the exam recently and confirm I’m on the correct track?

Furthermore have the exams been updated to use the semi circular rule instead of the quadrangle?

Any tips or advice would be great!
huseyydemm liked this
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I did mine in Feb. I used book 5 and read a few other bits and pieces online. I then used Airquiz to test myself in preparation for the test.

The big difference is that the format of the Airquiz tests was very different from the actual test. In the real test a reasonable chunk is based on a flight that you plan. You're given a partial plog which you need to finish and then answer questions on it. A lot of it was straightforward flight planning stuff

Hope this helps and good luck :thumleft:

Cheers
Dek
By David Wood
You will also find that the acronym RTFQ applies in spades. Some of the questions are quite complex in that you may be required to take a number of steps in order to get to the final answer required. There is a temptation to grab at an answer which may be correct but isn't necessarily the answer to the question that's being asked. So RTFQ.
By FlightDek
+1 for RTFQ

I only got 1 wrong and that was because I didn't read the question carefully

I also made an error when calculating the plog which meant I couldn't match an answer on one of the questions. I did the whole plog again and spotted my mistake. Luckily it's a 2 hr test so time to re-do things

Dek
By G-WALES
Cheers for the replies!!

I have it booked for Saturday! I’ve been going through some PLOG / NAV stuff today!

I’ve also been reading through the book 5 and some notes I’ve found online.

I presume there are still a good few questions on instrument theory? Like what happens to instruments instruments when a static vent gets blocked? Decision heights and all that stuff too?

Not sure what I else I could be doing!

Cheers!
By FlightDek
I think there was something on pitot or static being blocked and the effect on an instrument - can't remember which one.
By defcribed
My recollection (from some 6-7 years ago) is that it's mainly a flight planning and navigation exam with some bits and pieces on instrument theory.

RTFQ, obviously.

I recall one or two breathtakingly easy questions, so easy that you waste time looking for the trick or the bit you've missed. Something like showing you an aerodrome plate and asking you to identify the tower frequency.
By flyingyod
The one I did had a question about the IR(R)/IMC rating expiry (IIRC) which still used the previous rules rather than the new rules, so worth checking beforehand if possible how up to date the test is, so you can learn the old rules as well as the new rules if necessary