Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Bathman
Unfortunately the CAA do not see it that way

The PPL is a 45 hour course and the LAPL a 30 hour course and you can't chop and change.

So if you have done say 44 hours towards a PPL and then decide you want a LAPL then you have to start again and do the full 30 hour LAPL ourse.

I should add I don't make the rulesand would of course love to be proved wrong.
By iaindings
I’m going along with what my school told me, we haven’t even spoken about what track I’m taking until now (as it’s identical to this point)

The requirements on the CAA website make no mention of any limitations along those lines that I can find either
By NDB_hold
Bathman wrote:Unfortunately the CAA do not see it that way

The PPL is a 45 hour course and the LAPL a 30 hour course and you can't chop and change.

So if you have done say 44 hours towards a PPL and then decide you want a LAPL then you have to start again and do the full 30 hour LAPL ourse.

I should add I don't make the rulesand would of course love to be proved wrong.

That seems unduly restrictive where the exercises overlap. Of course, if your instructor is LAPL only (no CPL exams passed) then you couldn’t change your mind mid course and 'upgrade'. (That’s probably why some are saying LAPL instructors charge less, too.)
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have heard of one or two schools are telling students that they can get a nppl ssea now and convert it as before to a lapl as "everything" has been delayed til April next year now. Unfortunately that bit hasn't.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You can't fly outside Europe on an LAPL, so flying holidays in the US are out.

:?:

Although you may not be able to get a 'based on licence' there is of course nothing stopping one from getting a freestanding FAA license [sic]

And guess what......the flight training and experience will count for the largest part for getting that FAA ticket too.
By Paul_Sengupta
But that probably involves more hoops than getting the full PPL in the first place....TSA clearance, ground exam (combination of all subjects, US-centric) to do again, flight test...
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paul,

Whilst that is no doubt true, as someone wrote:

Bathman wrote:The PPL is a 45 hour course and the LAPL a 30 hour course

In addition to the savings in time/money there are also the reduction in medical requirements/costs to consider as well as the fact that the LAPL and flying in Europe will cover, at a guess, >>95% of UK pilots' needs.
A le Ron liked this
By cotterpot
Yes that's why I asked Delta Echo why she/he thought the PPL was better.

He/she claims 40+ hours so should have a good idea.

Also noted joined today and posted on 7 or 8 topics in studes forum
By iaindings
I think a lot of people have missed the point a bit here - of course the PPL offers a bit more freedom and is "better" in that way, gaining a LAPL now does not prevent me from upgrading later - it would just be another skills test.

But for now, LAPL means a shorter skills test and smaller QXC, making it quicker and cheaper to get. As it is, I did the QXC on Friday and LAPL skills test booked for Sunday :)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this