Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By cadoganpier
Hi
I went through the exact same dilemma as you earlier this year and went for the PPL. I am doing ok ( I think) and am up to about 30 hours and starting to do solo Nav stuff. I had a bit a previous experience so this maybe helped. I wouldn't want to contemplate taking my sills test in 5 hours which is what I would have been able to do in theory with the LAPL where as I hope I will be close to ready for my PPL skills in another 15 hours or so. My final conclusion was that the LAPL wouldn't really save me anything much in real terms and I would come out with a more restrictive license.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It took me 60 hours to get a PPL, and that’s how long it would have taken me to get an LAPL had such a thing existed in those days or yore.
It took that long because that’s how long I wanted it to take before I was happy to be let loose.
By Gentoo
You say the cost of instruction is £10 difference where you are (hire vs instruction hour)

So why not spend the extra £10 (you say you need 10 hours before flying friends). That's like £100 extra

Then take the PPL.

A bit less 'freedom' for those 10 hours but some of them will be solo nav, landaway etc.
By Spooky
If wanting to go for the CPL, go PPL straight away.

If it’s more for pleasure/hobby, look at LAPL or NPPL which will more than likely meet your needs
By Genghis the Engineer
iaindings wrote:Isn't there less content to the LAPL exam?

Upset recovery, IMC and radio nav IIRC - all things I want to learn but surely there'll be a good number of hours taken up by those bits

Basically no, upset recovery / unusual attitudes is in every syllabus from microlights to gliders to airliners, and then there's basic appreciation of instrument flying which is in all the SEP/SSEA syllabi, just not the microlight syllabus.

The different syllabi may be phrased differently, but there's not much real difference between them.

G
By Genghis the Engineer
Balliol wrote:There is no instrument flying training or testing in the LAPL at all

Having double checked, I stand corrected, but interesting, Ex.19 "Basic Instrument Flying" (EASA PPL syllabus) or Ex.19 "Instrument Appreciation" (NPPL SSEA syllabus), but yes, you're quite right not in LAPL.

Guilty here of assuming that if it was in the NPPL(SSEA) it would also be in the LAPL, which is theoretically the higher licence.

Also, isn't it possible to add an NQ onto the LAPL but not the NPPL, yet you could make a strong argument that a basic appreciation of instrument flying is indeed essential to night flying.

G
By Bathman
You can now add a night rating to the NPPL.

If adding a night rating to a LAPL you have to cover the instrument aspects as per the PPL
By carlapilot
traininf for like CPL?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
jarinawozny wrote:Hello! I also vote for PPL (i am student for it) i find it more useful if you want to keep your training on afterwards.
:)

Training for what?
By iaindings
So I find myself with 20 dual hours and 10 solo hours (lapl minimums met). For the lapl I just need to do a dual land away xc then do the same one solo for my qxc, followed by a few hours practice.

I’ve decided to go the LAPL route for a few reasons

1 I can get it done before the bad weather sets in and comfortably within financial limits
2 while its not much more expensive to have the instructor, having the LAPL does mean I can buy an hours building package and make solo quite a bit cheaper
3 the skills test is still hours flown so isn’t wasted, I’ll upgrade it to the PPL next year and onto other things in due course
4 I won’t need to exercise any of the PPL benefits until I’ve got quite a lot more hours anyway