Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Bigbangman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi,

Is it possible to have a dual lesson (PPL ) in say a C172 and take a passenger to sit in the back, to observe the lesson or is that a no no?

Regards
By Morten
Yes, it is. It is even often suggested that you ride in the back of other lessons as a way to get used to some of the skills involved without the stress... E.g. you can better listen to the RT, notice that the PF has not raised the flap, spot the landmark before he does etc. - all because there is no pressure.
Alternatively, you can have a passenger with you for fun.
I flew (with my instructor) one of my kids for lunch to Compton Abbas - just because it seemed a nice thing to do. It seemed as good an exercise as any to get used to navigation and planning...

But - as always - talk to your instructor. They will know you and have an idea of whether or not it would be good for you.

Morten
By johnm
When I was learning at WW years ago it was common for nav exercises with a land away for two pupils and one instructor to go and each pupil plan and fly a leg. Passengers on other flights were fairly common too. If all involved are happy no problem.
By David Wood
riverrock wrote:As Morten says - its up to your instructor. It may be fine, but there are lots of reasons it might not be appropriate.

As Riverrock says. Perfectly legal but not always sensible for the early stages of ab initio flying.