Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Crash one
I think the mere fact of possessing a mobile phone detracts from other things in at least my life, other lives are optional.
My current situation demands that we use them as an emergency communication device.
I am always conscious of its presence, and have to ensure the state of battery charge is adequate, missed calls etc.
If I do forget to carry it I have to either worry about it or go home and get it.
As a result I may be somewhat biased towards, It IS a distraction.
Last item on the preflight, Phone, call and check. Place it in a shirt pocket so I can feel if it rings in flight and act accordingly!
From that point of view it is a useful device, allowing me to do things I might otherwise not be able to do.
But as for a distraction, it most definitely is.
As for a camera, I've never had the urge to film myself but when I have on occasion got it bolted to the bracket I do often think "that view would take a good picture" concentration then goes to positioning for a good shot at the expense of the lookout!!
Other opinions are available.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
marcass wrote:Connected with this thread, can anyone give some advice on how to fix a go pro camera in the interior, forward facing ?
thanks

In our Arrow the suction cup mount supplied with the go pro neatly sticks to the plastic dome shaped lens of the interior cockpit ceiling light.
It gives a view to one side of my head and right ear and the panel as well as a pretty good view through the windscreen : And it is as stable as a rock.The mic lead drapes behind my shoulder to the cockpit sidewall where it joins my headset lead.
What the lens is seeing is bluetoothed to an old iPhone on my lap.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a short video.
EDIT 'File too big'
I'll see if I can find my Youtube account.

Peter