Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By seanlister1
Hey guys,

I know fine and well that I need to take my prescription with me for my initial class one medical however I've hit a snag, I know my lenses are under 2 dioptres which is good, but the biggest thing I'm stuck on is the distance vision which needs to be 6/9 or better. Below I have pasted a link to a photo of my prescription which should hopefully clear this up. I just want to make sure I'm clear before I pay for the medical as I'll have to travel to London.

https://ibb.co/hZJygn

Thanks in advance
Sean
By Artschool
I dont know enough about prescriptions to answer your question but I did have my medical last year and I do wear glasses.

the eye exam is definitely harder than the one in the opticians and my prescription was slightly out of date and I just passed it. I then put my contacts in(which are an up to date prescription) and found it much easier.

I was surprised that it was so stringent.
By seanlister1
Apologies I thought the picture was clear there's 4 figures written down. Which I'm guessing is for left and right, distance and near so it'll be 6/6 for the left and 6/5 for the right, I don't believe it has one for binocular.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It is an unusual annotation.

If you are not sure about your eyes then you could do worse than seeing Adrian Chorley, who can do the assessment as stand alone.

He used to be the CAA eye man and does the assessments for a number of AeMCs, he is professional, competent and kind. His assessments cover the same as those done for the Class 1 Initial.

Good luck
By seanlister1
Okay so apparently the 6/6 and 6/16 on the left of my prescription is my uncorrected vision and on the right is my corrected, so it's still a mystery what my binocular vision is.
By cadoganpier
You can download the correct form your AME will want your optician to fill out from the CAA website, it is not the same as a simple prescription. My optician ( Tesco vision express did it for free as part of a routine eye test.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this