Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I’m returning to flying after 10-15 years away, and accept I’ll probably need 20 minutes or so of brush up with an instructor(!)

What I hated about learning first time round though, was squeezing two of us (I’m 6’2) into a fifty year old Cessna / Warrior whose panel has every other instrument not working and whose interior was incredibly uncomfortable and scruffy.

Does anyone know of a a training school south of London (Berkshire, hanpshire, Surrey) that trains in modern aircraft (SR20, diamond or similar )?

Or does such a thing just not exist ?
By StuG
Check out Cubair at Redhill - friendly bunch and they operate a number of Diamond aircraft. QSD on this forum taught me there, and he's still recovering with a stiff drink in his hand I suspect...but should be ok to type answers to any questions you may have ;)

Redhill can operate throughout the year as they have an unlicensed runway that is actually a taxi way - the grass runways are used when the British weather decides to play ball. Pop into cubair and they'll be happy to have a chat.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Second recommendation for Cubair - they have a DA40-180 with "steam gauges" and a DA40NG with Garmin G1000, both of which should suit you. There are also four DA20 Katanas (two -A1, one -100, one -C1) but at 6'2" you might struggle with space. To round off the fleet, they have a PA28-161, a PA18 SuperCub for tailwheel, and a Slingsby T67M MkII for aerobatics, all of which will probably be fine for you.

Full disclosure: I learned to fly at Cubair 18 years ago, I am now a CRI with them, and I'm a part-owner of the T67M.