Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An obvious next question is whether the various commercial checklists contain the same (one must assume, correct) spin recovery for the Tomahawk as the POH and my home grown version?

G
By PeteSpencer
I did actual spins in PA38 during my training: It was a complete bar steward to get to spin to the right.....

Peter :roll:
By Genghis the Engineer
It is permitted to be spun, but clearly there is a difference between how you treat an inadvertent spin (direction not immediately obvious, entry mechanism not pre-determined, throttle probably not closed) and a deliberate spin (throttle closed, standard entry, you know which direction you booted the rudder).

I'd actually quite like to have a go at spinning a PA38, but I'm allergic to spinning without a parachute.

G
By T67M
NDB_hold wrote:Bottom line? Read the POH and make your own.

I agree for private flying - however this is not legal for commercial operations in EASA aircraft, including ab initio training.
By puestadesol
I don't think I can ever trust an AFE checklist.... During my first unsupervised engine start, I left the primer unlocked which could have had fatal consequences. Luckily the instructor spotted it straight away with the engine running rough once he got in.

The AFE PA-38 checklist says 'Operate as required, see POH'.

Pooleys appends the crucial information to this... 'Ensure locked'.

I think I'm going to make my own :)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By FlightDek
When I got a share in a PA28 I made my own checklist. I used the school's PA28 checklist as a basis and then used the aircraft POH to amend as required.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Here with my blessing is my generic checklist, it'll do anything as simple as a PA38 and then some.
This side, checks required on ground– confirm these are compatible with each type.

Shutdown
P - Parking brake, on
T - Throttle, ground idle. Wait for temperatures and pressures to stabilise.
M - Magnetos, check for dead-cut
R - Radios, Off.
T - Throttle, Closed
M - Mixture, Idle – Cut-Off
L - Light, off or as required
M - Magneto Switches, off.
C - Controls, Canopy, secured.
F - Fuel, off.

:shock: Where's the Flat Battery Starting Procedure for the next person to use the aircraft?

Rob P
By Genghis the Engineer
Ah well, now there's the thing about checklists.

They should only contain information to ensure nothing unsafe happens.

The stuff that's supposed to prevent pilots looking stupid are up to them.

G

(Yeah, okay, that's a fair point.)
Rob P liked this
By Balliol
Schools and students should be using a config controlled issued document from the school - IN2016/025 - Ive come across a number recently where students seem to be using all sorts of random stuff unfortunately
By Genghis the Engineer
I've seen very few schools using a configuration controlled checklist in my travels around the UK - but maybe I just saw all the exceptions!

G