Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By captainbluesky
Hi flyers

I have c. 80 hours total time lapsed JAR PPL SEP rating, in my late forties, thinking of a career change from Finance.

I realise I am probably too old to join an airline in the right hand seat e.g. of an A320 or 737-800 but this is turning into a 'now or never' decision.

I really enjoyed my PPL and seek advice from experienced instructors/employees either single and/or twin engine. I was always rated 'very good' on average during my PPL lessons and my instructor assumed I would go down the Commercial route. I believe I can make a career change eventually to e.g. single engine PPL/CPL instruction then twin engine CPL/IR instruction with some investment, time and experience.

I am thinking of renewing/revalidating my lapsed PPL, getting a Class 1 medical and self-funding ATPL theory, hour building, ME rating, CPL then IR. I have a vision of e.g. teaching single or ME CPL and/or IR and beyond.

Please advise me:

a) Do you think in my late forties I am too late/old? In terms of e.g. investment and time required, career prospects and future 'reasonable' earnings?

b) Do you think I would still have a good chance of 'reasonable' salaried employment after ATPL theory etc by e.g. an established ATO / flight school or a small regional UK airline?

Thanks in advance.
By CapnM
I don't think age will go against you right now given that there's both an airline pilot and flight instructor shortage! After 14 years in IT, I'm switching over to the aviation. Plenty of stories floating around about similar aged pilots going all the way to the airlines.

What may go against you is the Class 1 medical. Get that sorted before you do anything else and start pumping money into it.
By TwinFlyer
I know many people that have made the transition to aviation having had a career in another field, I fly with some people in their forties who have only had a CPL for a couple of years or so.

If I were you, I'd focus on what it is you want to do - do you want to be an instructor, or do you want to be a line pilot somewhere?

It's a well documented fact that PPL instruction, traditionally, pays not very much. CPL/MEP/IR instruction do pay considerably more and can involve salaried positions - your problem is that you'll need to build up quite a lot of experience (probably as a PPL FI) in order to qualify for the CPL/MEIR instructors tickets.

You could do the ATPL theory, a bit of hours building and do the FI course first without having to invest in the CPL/IR.

In any event, getting a class 1 medical is without a doubt your first move. Secondly, look into doing your ATPL theory exams and decide how you're going to do them (distance learning, full time - each has its pros and cons). The ATPL theory exams are what will unlock your options going forward - without them, you can't do an awful lot!
By capovolgere
Hello all,

I am in my early thirties and also thinking about self funding full-time training for an ATPL. I was looking for similar advice but also thinking further ahead I am concerned what my job prospects are once/if I achieve all qualifications, licenses and ratings given that I have no university degree or any other significant qualification to my name, and I will be unable to relocate from my home in the north east of Scotland...

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
By Balliol
I don’t think age is the barrier it once was, but the reality is that in the early stages you will have to be prepared to work wherever the opportunities are - UK or Europe for at least initial periods. I really wouldn’t gamble everything on being able to get a job in a specific local region, unless you can get a really good in with say loganair through a local school
capovolgere liked this
By capovolgere
Thank you for your reply,

A litle disheartening to read this. When you mention getting an in through a flight school. Is this something that happens? Thinking along those lines, will airline operators have a preference with where you have trained?

Otherwise, do you think it would be possible to commute to a job in another region from where you live? I was reading an American forum and contributors on there where suggesting it doesn't matter where you live as you can just jump seat to your next job. All sounds a bit far fetched to me..?

Again thinking about the commuting option, how do pilot rosters work? Are you away for a period time flying from A to B to C back to A, or do most pilots head home at the end of the day?

My apologies for the barrage of questions
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I used to do regular spring and autumn Trade Shows in Scotland. The Caledonian in Inverness had several rooms which were permanently available to Flight Crew. (likewise in Aberdeen, both hotels were the same ownership.
Therefore you can deduce that, like a travelling- salesman, you may either have a busy "local" patch (lots of short sectors and home to bed each night, or, one or 2 longish sectors, then live out of a suitcase for a few days.

Note, I'm not a pilot, I can only say what I've seen and heard.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
captainbluesky wrote:H
Please advise me:

a) Do you think in my late forties I am too late/old? In terms of e.g. investment and time required, career prospects and future 'reasonable' earnings?

b) Do you think I would still have a good chance of 'reasonable' salaried employment after ATPL theory etc by e.g. an established ATO / flight school or a small regional UK airline?

Thanks in advance.

To old for what?

A career with a major airline - yes; a career in a niche market - maybe not; as a career instructor - no

Define 'future 'reasonable' earnings' - £xx?

And

'Chance of 'reasonable' salaried employment' - The aviation industry and fickle, littered with companies coming and going, sometimes leaving a long trail of financial disruption and ruin, especially to those at the bottom of the chain.
By Bathman
Age isn't such a barrier at the moment due to massive shortages I know a 48 year old you had a job interview last week with a large UK 737 operator and has been called back for a simple assessment next week.

But the bull market won't last so if your going to go for it. Go for it and hammer if off quickly.