Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Broadly agreeing with you T67, although adding that the 1-million charts are rather good as a single backup paper chart tucked away in my kneeboard.

G
By Genghis the Engineer
Morten wrote:
Usually they're torn up before they expire, although I believe the UK charts are laminated and more durable.

The ability to write on the UK charts with a permanent pen, wipe it off with a whiteboard marker and to fold/unfold/fold back on itself etc. all without showing much trace of actual wear and tear or usage is pretty good and, having used charts from various other suppliers over the last couple of years, not something I've seen with other charts than the UK one.
You Brits should be proud :)

Morten

Thus speaks somebody who has never tried to refold a CAA chart in a small cockpit :lol:

G
By PeteSpencer
There speaks somebody who doesn’t use the McKillop fold method :lol:
By Paul_Sengupta
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Thus speaks somebody who has never tried to refold a CAA chart in a small cockpit :lol:

Pah, I've done it in formation. I did move out a bit first though.

Ask Ridders and Samsonite! Samsonite said it looked like I was reading The Times...
Dusty_B liked this
By Morten
Folding the chart so that you can easily refold it along your route is part of the pre-flight planning.
Of course, if you fly on a long diagonal track, you will struggle but for most purposes, it works quite well.

However, if you're not scared of taking a knife to your chart, with well judged folding and cutting you use the Falk folding technique to fold it like a book and leaf up/down and left/right with impunity. Again, the UK charts are good for this - the lamination is not stiff and stops the paper from ripping. A sharp knife is all that is required to make a Falk 'book'.
Here is the the original Falk technique:

Applied to the UK Southern chart and choosing to make it 4 'pages' tall and 5 'pages' wide, you get this nifty booklet (with my markings visible):

Opening it up on London, it looks like this:

You can fold up and across to the north east:

And then down to the south west:

For planning purposes, it unfolds to be a complete chart when you have the space for it, although you need to be mindful of the cuts when you draw on it, so you do not mark the table underneath.
You could of course centre it somewhere else and/or choose a different size than the 4 x 5 I did...

So, there's no excuse!

Morten
Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
The McKillop fold does all that without recourse to chopping the chart up and when you get home you can still open up and spread it out on the dinng room table to plot tomorrow's flight.

Cutting up the chart is so yesterday

Peter :roll:
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By cockney steve
Fascinating!.....Thanks for posting....I always thought there was only one "proper" way to fold a map or chart. yer lives 'n yer learns. :)

Please can we have a change of thread-title?......hows about " map Origami for beginners"

*shuffles off to make dunce's cap. *