Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Geoff Hill
Good Afternoon all

I'm a long time ex poster here, and it's a little time since I last flew. I used to fly a little for air cadets in a vigilant TMG, when air cadets used to fly. I've somewhere in the region of 800hrs in vigilant, with my last flight being in 2009

I've also got about 150hrs p1, 50 hrs pu/t in in, what was, group A aircraft, with the last flight being mid 2007.

I've just found my logbook, which I'd mostly forgotten about, and triggered the question, what would it take for me to regain a long lapsed PPL.

Geoff
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Answer: not much, probably much less than I guess you expect! No ground exams, but medical, sufficient trainng at approved school/club to be put forward for and to pass a proficiency check (a test), probably paperwork and money conversion to an Easa licence, but possibly not immediately, depending on how/what you want to fly in the near future
By Geoff Hill
No exams? excellent. I guess I'd need a bit of a brush up, last time I flew, Flight information service was a thing.

I expect I can still remember how to point an aeroplane at the sky and only hit the ground at the correct time, but a little finesse may be lost.

I'd need to hunt around to see what is available to fly locally. I still live in Newcastle-ish, but flying into and out of a large airport, and associated long waits at the hold burning tenners doesn't appeal greatly.
By Crash one
Irv.
Is the NPPL still available to those that don't have one already?
Either through the LAA or otherwise?
Not that it would be much use for flying EASA aircraft.
By Cottie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Geoff

Last year I renewed, having not flown since 2000.

Remarkably easy to get back, just the medical and the proficiency test to complete (of course some training hours to get back to the standard an instructor was happy with).

Medical was the hardest part as the very last test was failed, but 3 months working through the NHS resolved that.