Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By puestadesol
Hi all,

I've been putting the PPL off for years making excuses that I don't have the time etc. but I've finally realised I'm going to keep finding excuses till I'm old and regret it!

So I've put the money aside, been studying the books for months, and start my first proper lesson (had three trials in the past) at Liverpool Airport with Mersey Flight next weekend.

Aiming to pass within a year before my 27th birthday, which doesn't seem too ambitious.

I've also given myself the goal of flying myself to and around Spain before I'm 30 if anyone's up for it!

Tom
By Brollyman
Looks like there's a few of us starting out on our training at Liverpool.

What made you guys choose Merseyflight over any other school? I couldn't find them on the ATO list so I discounted them from my initial research. I don't regret the decision as I love flying with Lomac but I just wondered how other people decided on which school to use (other than how they "felt" on a visit).
puestadesol liked this
By puestadesol
On paper I think they're all the same, I even checked accounts on Companies House... Ultimately it did come down to my personal perceptions and interactions with people on the day!
By Brollyman
Pretty similar to me then - people buy from people!

I'm a bit frustrated today though - I get a call as I'm about to get to the school to tell me that I won't be able to fly as there is a problem with the brakes on the aeroplane that has just been picked up during maintenance.

At least it wasn't the weather that caused the cancellation this time!
By Merlin83b
I don't wish to discourage you, but aircraft "going tech" happens frustratingly often. You'll get used to it, but it's just a fact of flying life! Keep your chin up and look forward to the next booking :)
By Brollyman
I'm beginning to understand the frustrations now. Still, I'd rather not fly that go up in something that's not safe.

I've booked 12 hours in over the next couple of weeks, so fingers crossed I'll get back in the air soon.
GeorgeJLA liked this
By tfin25
Hello

I completed my PPL with MerseyFlight last year and still occasionally fly from there. I found them to be a brilliant bunch, not as 'clubby' as the guys next door at Lomac, but I preferred the fleet and the more professional atmosphere at Merseyflight.

If you have any questions let me know!
GeorgeJLA liked this
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sounds about right :thumright:

When I did my night rating it took 14 attempts to have my first lesson :roll:

Just wait for the summer
By tfin25
Brollyman wrote:So far I've had cancellations due to:

Wind
Rain
Fog
Technical issues

and now Snow.

Back to Air Law study I suppose...... :roll:

Welcome to GA in the UK! :lol:

FlightDek wrote:Sounds about right :thumright:

When I did my night rating it took 14 attempts to have my first lesson :roll:

Just wait for the summer

Sounds about right! I've had to cancel 4 night rating lessons so far. I've pretty much given up trying to get it done this winter.
By Chris_N
:| Lesson earlier this week was cancelled after 1 hour spent checking three planes: 1st plane neither I nor instructor could start: second I noticed a small amount of hydraulic fluid in the left hand footwell and although the instructor had flown in it earlier in the day I did not want to do the landing where the brakes failed. By time I had cancelled the flights on the club computer, filled in the tech logs on the first two planes and checked the third plane the wind had increased to gusting over the crosswind limit. :?

Looks like I need to wait for summer as well.
By cotterpot
I am not sure the lack of brakes for landing would be the problem - I don't think their use is advocated on rollout unless really necessary.

But you might want them working for power checks.