Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By statppl
Well, I still have trouble spotting the airfields (grass runways are even worse at spotting). However, I found it a good idea to use the DI to expect a runway (06724 or 07/25) appearance relative to my position.
Moreover, DI has been really helpful in imagining the circuit, when it could change between left or right (i.e. north or south).
Are there other tips to use DI in various ways?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The DI is useful in helping with spatial perception in a number of ways especially if it has a heading bug. You can then see your heading and set up expected headings so you get a clear picture of which way you need to turn for example.

Once you've passed your test all that will be replaced by a GPS with moving map and OBS function :-)

Have fun!
statppl liked this
I flew this afternoon and was using the DI in exactly the way you described.

It is quite handy for just visualising angles, drifts, crosswinds and so-on as well. If you have an ADF, you can use one of those in the same way.

It is amazing how much difference a heading bug makes! Always have one given a choice.

G
T67M liked this
Balliol wrote:Massively useful in Forced landing practice to visualise where the wind is and what field orentiation you need to look out as well
Balliol, would you care to explain this a bit for everyone's benefit?
By Balliol
I.e once you have carried out the initial actions for an engine failure, look at the DI and where the wind direction (remembered from take off or just use the runway direction you took off on if you can’t remember) is from relative to your current heading. That is the direction you need to be Force landing in and you can then scan the ground outside and relate that to your field choice.

I have seen many students / exam candidates make a downwind approach on a forced landing, the di just helps that situational visualisation to avoid that!