Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If people are more nervous about flying than about horse racing over hurdles or motorbike racing, then I think whenever I fly I somehow don't understand the situation! :shock: :D

BirdsEyeView wrote:as one who suffered from some element of anxiety especially the closer I got to my GST

I hate flight tests. Don't think I'll ever get used to them. Except with Irv. I've got used to Irv! ;-)
I'm looking forward to seeing Paul racing over hurdles.

(Oops, I now recall that I did do one lap of the Newton Abbot race course late one night, sans horse, beating my friend Mike by a short head. I further recall that at the end of the lap I had lost my keys. Mercifully, crawling in the reverse direction, they were located)
seanxair liked this
Quick update. I went to see a hypnotist!, I did it when I was learning the first time to help with my vertigo, this time to just help me feel less stressed/anxious and see if it could help with the heights. Well.....I've now had four lessons since( two in some pretty horrible lumpy conditions) and not an ounce of nerves or anxiety, I can't get enough of it, it hasn't turned me into some sort of fearless nutter but I just seem soo much more relaxed and as a result enjoy it and learn so much more.
By BirdsEyeView
Once the engine is running and you apply full power, the training will kick in. You'll be fine. You won't think about it at all... just what you're training has told you. It happens to us all... That's what instructors are good at... knowing when we are ready.
By GolfHotel
I find I never get scared, its my passengers who scream!

Seriously, I'm afraid of heights. Stick me on a single story roof and I feel uncomfortable. Normally in a plane I don't feel this, but just every so often I can be cruising along and get a knot forming in my guts about the height. It takes a bit of concentrated ignoring it to get it to go. I used to get a bit of unease as I got to the airport, I don't feel it any more but I always want to wee as I pull the aircraft out of the hanger, guess that may be the same thing.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cadoganpier wrote:Passed my medical today and have done my first couple of exams, my instructor has told me if I am happy and the weather is OK I can go solo next lesson. Nervous, but in a good way I think.

Enjoy it. Soak it all in, you only get one first solo.

One thing instructors often forget to tell you is how much better the aircraft climbs with only one on board. And if you don’t like the approach, go around. Nothing wrong with going around.

Then come back and tell us about it.
By Crash one
Talking about anxious, I remember this and thinking, 8mm of 50 year old plywood between me and a cold New Year in the Cairngorms :pale:
It was great, I just focussed on my flying and tried to imagine the instructor was sat next to me. The funny thing was I didn't sleep a wink that night so when it came to more solo's the next day I took the decision not to as I just wasn't feeling great, part of me was thinking I should have just cracked on but I am sort of thinking I did the right thing as being tired doesn't improve your flying and at my stage I don't want a bad flight to knock my confidence.
FlightDek liked this