Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As my instructor said

RTFQ
RTFA

If I remember right sometimes the question uses one unit (eg nm) while the correct answer could be in a different unit (eg km)

Goos Luck :thumleft:
Dek
By CapnM
As FlightDek said, make sure you read the question properly, especially if it's asking for a distance. One of the questions I had asked for a distance and gave the correct number (e.g 100) in both nm and km - would be easy to just read '100' and mark that as the right answer, even if it's not!

Can't really remember what else was on it... I know the last 2 or 3 questions involved the chart (finding a distance for a route, finding what 'area' to be aware of en-route (e.g. gliding site, danger area, ...)), working out an estimate time of arrival given latitude/longitude of departure/arrival, so know how to do that, and giving an ETA based on distance/wind/etc. Good luck!
By JJB
One of the stupid marks I lost was for one of the last questions that asked for the distance between two points on a half mil chart. I found the two points, made sure I was using the 1:500k scale on my ruler and cheerily picked the answer as 42nm. The question had asked for the answer in km, however, for no other reason than RTFQ as far as I can tell.

Also, make sure you are familiar with your different chart projection types and comfortable calculating distances flown based on latitudes.
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Make sure you're thoroughly conversant with the "flight computer". You should know not just how to calculate heading and drift. but also calculations such as endurance and conversions such as metric to imperial and volume to weight.
By Crash one
Many of the questions are worded in such a fashion as to catch you out if you don't RTFQ. The object being, don't assume, always check and make sure. So once you have RTFQ, read the 'kin question again. Considering volumes, heights, distances etc. Some ASIs are calibrated in knots, statute miles per hour or kilometres. Fuel in litres, imp gallons, US gallons, pounds, Kilogrammes. Important stuff when you jump from one a/c to another later.
Kilometres of visibility, metres of runway length, nautical miles distance on charts, heights in feet or metres depending on the country. Etc.
Don't get complacent! Good luck. :thumleft: :thumleft: