Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TomcatFlyer
What does everyone carry on board?...Is there a mandatory list or is it just down to personal taste?...Also whats does everyone keep it in?...carrier bag...expensive flight bag :lol: ?...looking forward to the replies.
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I started the nav phase of my training, someone on here (Flintstone I think) offered a couple of flight bags for £15-20 each so I bought one. It's nothing special but and has 1 big section that you can put an A4 clipboard in and a side pocket for pens, log book etc. I keep thinking I should upgrade it but always come back to the question of why?
I keep everything in it, and it's now getting a bit full, but as a new PPL I don't want to forget anything, so the list is -
1 x 250.000 chart
1 x 500.000 chart
Headset in case
Pens, pencils, markers
Compass and ruler
A4 clipboard and paper / plogs
Log book
Whizz wheel
Hi viz :cry:
I pad

As I start to do longer flights I will also be carrying spare pants ! (In case of weather diversions,- not dodgy landings) and the A4 clipboard is being replaced with a knee board / iPad mount.

I don't know if I'm in the minority, weird or right but it makes me feel better to have all my bits and bobs with me.
Cheers
By JJB
I’ve gone through three bags in my ‘extensive’ 7 month flying career. :wink:

The first was a freebie I got from Transair for buying a headset from them. It was a fairly small, square design that fitted my knee-board, chart and a few other bits and pieces but not much else. As I progressed through the PPL and began the navigation exercises and solo stints I needed a larger bag to include copies of the POH for Ops and Planning along with a folder for printouts of weather, TAFs etc. For this I chose a conference/laptop bag I had picked-up at a meeting a few years back. It was a step-up but I became frustrated with carrying a headset separately (two when I was flying with a passenger) so I began looking for something else.

Over Christmas, for what I viewed as the cost of an hour’s flight plus landing fee (~£180), I upgraded to a ‘bag for life’ with the Brightline B7. It’s a modular system that takes everything I feel I would ever want to take on board. As for what’s in it:

Two headsets; spare radio incl GA cable adapter and PTT switch; a few spare battery cases; RAM iPad and iPhone holders with mounts; iPad mini; knee-board; various pens; charts; VFR plates; laminated POH pages; solvent pads; fuel tester; torch; 12v USB charger and cables; USB battery bank; license; logbook; whizz-wheel; protractor; ruler; hi-viz vest; sunglasses; foggles; car keys and some loose change.

I realise that’s a lot of stuff that I intend to thin-out over a relatively short time period and the beauty of the B7 - as I see it - is I can remove sections of the bag as part of this culling process. :thumright:
By JJB
MarkOlding wrote:
I don't know if I'm in the minority, weird or right but it makes me feel better to have all my bits and bobs with me.
Cheers

Looking at my list made me feel weird and I wondered if it was right too. However, at least we’re no longer a minority! :lol:
MarkOlding liked this
By Lerk
I’ve got a design4pilots weekend bag mainly to keep all of my flying paraphernalia together when not flying.
In there so far:
>Half mil charts for north and south (live right in the middle of the two)
>A5 kneeboard with stopwatch and writing implements attached, although in a c152 this is used as a book rather than attached to my knee for control interface reasons!
>iPhone kneeboard with scratchpad on front (fits in c152)
>Plotter and whizz wheel
>log book and medical certificate
>hi viz
>Pooleys guide
>Checklists
>whichever one of pilots manual I’m reading at the minute

It then has a removable headset bag on one end that I use to hold my headset with spare anr battery, spare glasses and fuel tester.

I generally only take what I need to the aircraft though so usually headset bag and either kneeboard/charts for navex or little kneeboard for circuits.

Prior to splashing out on the posh bag, I was using a free messenger/laptop bag that I acquired on a training course, but that didn’t have enough storage for everything at once.
By Cessna57
https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/flight-bags-and-cases-c107/flight-bags-c108/flight-outfitters-lift-flight-bag-p5540

Bought for me as a present when I passed.
It’s fantastic. Well worth the money.
Have also got a double headset case, which holds spare/passenger headset plus 3rd headset or lunch depending on the day.

Now my flight bag is a “pick up and go flying” affair.
Checklist
Map
A5 Kneeboard (small clipboard one, no fold outs etc etc)
Spare pens
Fuel tester
phone charging lead
Hi Vis
PilotAware and powerpack
Bottle of water
Chocolate bar
Spare battery for ANR
Logbook
License
Aircraft Key
Airside pass
Site pass

I use SkyDemon on phone and as backup iPad mini (which fits in my flight bag)

When a student I had a Sainsbury’s bag (one of the posh ones)

Had all that in it, plus, whizzwheel, protractor, ruler.
My hardbacked “flying notes” book, for writing things down and drawing pictures in briefings.
Drove my CFI nuts that I was using a Sainsbury’s bag, but my FI loved it.

When a student, I only ever flew with checklist, map, kneeboard, pens. Never a nav app, but I did have to call 121.5 once when actually lost. Which I’m glad I’ve done.

Obviously I wear a watch and also sunglasses if it’s sunny !
By flybymike
MarkOlding wrote:I keep everything in it, and it's now getting a bit full, but as a new PPL I don't want to forget anything, so the list is -
1 x 250.000 chart
1 x 500.000 chart
Whizz wheel

How quaint. :wink:
By MarkOlding
flybymike wrote:
MarkOlding wrote:I keep everything in it, and it's now getting a bit full, but as a new PPL I don't want to forget anything, so the list is -
1 x 250.000 chart
1 x 500.000 chart
Whizz wheel

How quaint. :wink:

I'm really trying to stay "old skool" 8) and having learnt to use them I'm a bit paranoid about forgetting for when the iPad gives up......
Crash one liked this
By Rob P
Having experimented with various bags when I was a keen newbie I now generally just carry the equipment (this consists of Headset / Tablet / Folder with SD printout) as they are. I usually manage to get them to the hangar without dropping anything.

(But have been known to leave the aircraft keys at home)

Rob P
By Ben K
Kneeboard
Headset
5 spare headset batteries
Airband transciever
Headtorch
Tablet
Duct tape
Two days worth of underwear
Emergency snacks
Small wash kit
Phone/tablet chargers x3
Phone charger battery x2
Spare phone
Earplugs
Hi viz
License, passport, passes etc
Pens
Fuel strainer
Sick bags
Hand sanitiser
By Ben K
flybymike wrote:
Two days worth of underwear

“After landing” precaution?

You mean your landings aren't always brown pants level exciting?
By CapnM
This is my bag, though I don't recall it costing £90 :shock: https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-sup ... -bag-p5540

In mine, I have...

High vis
Fuel checker + dipstick checker
TipEx
Hand sanitizer
More pens than I know what to do with
Couple of pencils
Non-Perma and Perma coloured pens
Calculator
Log book
CRP-5
Stuff for old fashion planning (ruler/measuring ruler, square protector, ...)
Couple of spare mass & balance sheets for the two aircraft I fly
Photocopy of my licence/medical
Kneeboard
iPad
USB charging block (with relevant cables)
Map
Headtorch + torch
Headset is carried in it's own little case which also has my license/medical/spare batteries, etc

I rarely actually take my bag with me, instead I carry my map and kneeboard with the headset case which has the headset/licences/spare batteries/sunglasses/etc in.
Bobcro liked this