Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

I hold a PPL and staring to slowly build hours up towards CPL / MEIR route- is getting an IR Restricted a good idea or a waste of money?

Safety wise I understand I’d be a lot more comfortable if I was to encounter some sticky situations during hour building?

Any of you out there done it , whilst pursuing the Modular route and found it to majorly improve the standard of flying?

Cheers !
If you do it an ATO and get 10hours of the course accredited/ signed off as the BIFM you can reduce the CPL course by 10 hours so well worth it, the capability and competence it will give you is priceless. Have you read into the CB-IR? Using the IR(R) as part of this route to ‘frozen ATPL’ can be very cost effective.
Hello G-WALES. I did the IR(R) last year and I'm very glad I did so.

1) It tightened up my flying skills considerably
2) It gave me a lot of confidence to expand my touring to a much larger scale both in VMC and IMC
3) As pointed out above, the course can be credited towards CPL and CBIR which I intend to complete next year.

If you are going down the modular route and are in no particular tight timeline, then the IR(R) is a great way to expand your flying into new areas which will help you to continue learning.

I have just started the full Flight Instructor Course and I very much doubt that I'd be in the position to do so if I hadn't got the IR(R) under my belt and expanded my horizons.

Go for it!
I'll jump in and say that I only have my test to go until I've completed the IR(R). I'm also doing the modular route with Aeros at Wellesbourne currently whilst finishing off my ATPL's.

It will reap its benefits in many ways. I enjoy the challenge of IMC flight and really sharpen your skills.

You won't regret it :thumright:
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For all the reasons already stated - yes, very good idea.

I did mine after my CPL (still not got around to a full IR, one day I will, but not actually necessary to my own flying at present), and in retrospect would have done far better to do the IR(R) first, for the way it tightens up your flying standards and gives you extra capability, affordably.

G