Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Ok, a brief backstory... I started training back in 2011, but due to a job change, house move and the addition of two children to the family I had a lot of breaks in training and still haven't got around to finishing my licence. I also work overseas regularly which hasn't really helped matters much either.

Now, last time home on leave I had a chat with my FI who explained that hours pre-8th April 2012 can no longer be counted. Bugger, but my fault I suppose, and there goes 13 hours of training! We decided then to switch from the EASA PPL(A) to the LAPL, as this would have me flying sooner as the only elements left to complete were the solo ccts (again) and the XC/land-aways.

However, since making that decision I have learned that the later converting from LAPL to PPL is not quite as straightforward and also requires a second skills test, and to make matters worse a newly qualified LAPL needs 10hrs PIC before taking pax.

So now in my mind the full PPL makes more sense, as there is only one set of paperwork to complete, one test, one fee, and the extra training time is only the same as the 10hr PIC pax restriction anyway.

FWIW I currently have 6:05 supervised solo, 2:20 solo XC, and 25:00 dual instruction, so a total of 31:05 post-8th April 2012 which I can count. I have also completed all the ground school exams (again!) and the FRTOL course/test.

So at the moment I am due home for Christmas and will pick up training straight after that. Is the general consensus to revert to the full PPL, or get the LAPL done sooner?

I also notice that 5 hours of simulator time can be credited for the full PPL - which could be a cost/time saving (or bad weather!) option - any thoughts on that?

One final question - my FI said that there is a requirement for minimum hours solo circuits, instrument flight etc which differ between the LAPL/PPL but I can't seem to find it anywhere, only the usual

you will need to complete 45 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes, 5 hours of which may have been completed in an approved flight simulator (an FSTD – flight simulation training device), including at least:

25 hours of dual flight instruction,
10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome.

Any comments on the above welcome. :)
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can you switch to NPPL-ssea? You may be almost there, but obviously you need to be ready for test.
A nppl ssea will
A) allow you to fly easa aircraft once you qualify until April 8th 2018, with passengers, no post licence hours required before you do.
B) allow you to convert at any time from it to a lapl(a) providing you get the ssea before 8th April and any hours you have done p1 post nppl issue count towards the ten you need to take passengers with a lapl. Conversion is a form and £41, no flying test.
Irv Lee wrote:Can you switch to NPPL-ssea? You may be almost there, but obviously you need to be ready for test.
A nppl ssea will
A) allow you to fly easa aircraft once you qualify until April 8th 2018, with passengers, no post licence hours required before you do.
B) allow you to convert at any time from it to a lapl(a) providing you get the ssea before 8th April and any hours you have done p1 post nppl issue count towards the ten you need to take passengers with a lapl. Conversion is a form and £41, no flying test.

Not considered that option. Worth thinking about, but would still require the conversion from LAPL to PPL at some point...
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suspect you will keep the pre 2012 hours for an nppl, so if you save loads of training hours now, you can do the lapl to ppl "efficiently" later. By efficiently I mean if you were ever going on your own for anything (bacon sandwich for example) once you have got a lapl from your nppl ssea, just get your friendly school to "supervise it" as a solo Nav training flight and it should count to your 15 hour upgrade
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:What do you think the benefit of a PPL is over a LAPL?

I often work overseas and would like the option (however unlikely) to hire a/c, so an ICAO recognised licence makes more sense. Also would like to add an IR(R) at some point too.
What are you trying to achieve?

If you just want the joy of being airborne; and the ability to take one passenger into the skies, then consider micro lighting in a C-42 or similar.

Otherwise just work up to whatever licence you think will most suit your future needs.

Do not get hung up on hours spent training. It's all flying, and if an hours a/c hire plus landing fees is now say £180 then an extra £25/hr for an instructor is a fairly small marginal increase, and I say again; you're in the air and gaining experience.

With your periods spent overseas there will be an element of 'getting back up to speed' after each trip; so don't expect to get licences / ratings in the minimum hours.

And more than anything else, remember to enjoy it!

(And then I read your last post! If you want to progress to IR etc, then just keep plugging away, and enjoy it!)